Recipes that use self-rising flour

I have 50 pounds of self-rising flour and I am determined to use it. What is your favorite recipe that uses self-rising flour? Please not the ‘two ingredient wonder dough’ that uses Greek yogurt.
posted by bq to Food & Drink (18 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

A lot of recipes on BBCGoodFood.com use self raising flour.
posted by Ftsqg at 3:43 PM on March 19

Banana pudding!

That recipe, which is otherwise identical to mine, calls for making it in a saucepan, but I've always done it in a double boiler setup to avoid scorching.
posted by saladin at 3:44 PM on March 19 [1 favorite]

here's a delicious simple cake I've posted before. Depending where you are in the world you might use something other than buttermilk. The recipe is from Israel, so my grandma used leben, a kind of thin yogurt. Use whatever the local thin yogurt/ leben /kefir /buttermilk type thing is where you are.
posted by fingersandtoes at 3:55 PM on March 19

If you have ice cream, you can make two ingredient cake/bread! This is fun to experiment with when you have weird ice cream flavours.
posted by ceramicspaniel at 4:30 PM on March 19

You can sub it for all-purpose flour + baking powder + salt (maybe, check the ingredients) if you maintain the ratio.

The usual flour to baking powder ratio is one cup flour to one or one and a quarter teaspoon baking powder.

If the recipe calls for 2 cups flour and 2 tsp baking powder (e.g., muffins), you can use 2 cups self-raising flour. 1 cup flour and 2 tsp baking powder (e.g. pancakes), add 3/4 tsp of baking powder.
posted by JawnBigboote at 4:33 PM on March 19 [1 favorite]

Self-rising flour is a combination of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. The blend is typically comprised of 1 cup of all-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt.
Make all the cookies, and adjust baking powder and salt up if needed. You can't adjust down, but a little bit of extra baking powder and salt should be okay. Flatbread. Pancakes, cakes, quick breads. What baked goods are your favorite?
posted by theora55 at 6:09 PM on March 19

Dumplings. This recipe calls for shredded suet, which is available in Latino supermarkets.

Mince and dumplings - it's basically shepherds pie topped with dumplings instead of mashed potatoes. Use ground beef or ground lamb.
posted by shoesietart at 6:23 PM on March 19

Beer bread is good, if you have beer to spare.
posted by doift at 6:59 PM on March 19 [1 favorite]

I don't have a recipe but you can do fine biscuits (US sense) with that
posted by GCU Sweet and Full of Grace at 7:05 PM on March 19

I live in the Old South US and self-rising is THE flour for biscuits. Don't know how a family would eat 50 lbs worth, but...
posted by tmdonahue at 8:23 PM on March 19 [1 favorite]

Almost all the cakes and scones I bake use self-raising flour. Google a cake you like + "Mary Berry recipe" and you will get results.
posted by Balthamos at 1:01 AM on March 20 [1 favorite]

About a comment above. In the US South, the best-loved self rising flour is made with a flour that is softer than all-purpose, closer to cake flour. For many recipes, you can substitute cake flour for AP flour but the textures will be different.
posted by tmdonahue at 5:57 AM on March 20

pancakes/waffles
posted by ArgentCorvid at 9:08 AM on March 20

Thanks for all the suggestions! This has been extra challenging because I generally don't care for the texture of quick breads and I don't want to cook (and then eat) a lot of sweets. Also, I don't really like biscuits. I am basically the worst possible person to be going through a lot of self-rising flour.

I tried the beer bread and it turned out OK.

I found this recipe for crackers that is easy and well-received by the picky children.

And then I decided to just try baking regular old bread since I have a jar of yeast on hand. So far the 5-minute Artisan Bread recipe, my old standby, is producing perfectly normal loaves of bread, even with self-rising flour (and I subbed out 1 cup for whole wheat in last batches). The only difference is that the dough is extra wet, so I'm going to adjust for more flour in future.

What with eating every meal at home we are steadily nibbling down the stash and I'm very glad to have it.
posted by bq at 1:24 PM on April 2

So this is super late, but I've been watching this thread because I have the same "problem". I made pasta with it- ramen-style noodles with just water and a tiny bit of sesame oil in the dough. They were fine- a little soft, but I've read that self-rising flour has less protein, so I would assume less chew (the pasta dough was much easier to work than usual). Next time I'll try an egg pasta, or maybe add a little wheat gluten to it. But there wasn't any weird baking soda/powder taste to the cooked noodles, so I consider it a win.
posted by dogmom at 11:08 AM on April 19 [1 favorite]

Update: I've used up about half of the self-rising flour and all of the yeast, so now I'm going to be experimenting with sourdough starter for the first time ever.
posted by bq at 7:47 PM on May 1 [1 favorite]

I’m happy to announce that the self rising flour has been all consumed.
posted by bq at 10:19 AM on July 17 [1 favorite]

« Older Food/gift basket in NYC   |   All the cool and educational free video content Newer »