Recipes that use self-rising flour

I have 50 pounds of self-rising flour and I am determined to use it. What is your favorite recipe that uses self-rising flour? Please not the ‘two ingredient wonder dough’ that uses Greek yogurt.
posted by bq to Food & Drink (14 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

A lot of recipes on BBCGoodFood.com use self raising flour.
posted by Ftsqg at 3:43 PM on March 19

Banana pudding!

That recipe, which is otherwise identical to mine, calls for making it in a saucepan, but I've always done it in a double boiler setup to avoid scorching.
posted by saladin at 3:44 PM on March 19 [1 favorite]

here's a delicious simple cake I've posted before. Depending where you are in the world you might use something other than buttermilk. The recipe is from Israel, so my grandma used leben, a kind of thin yogurt. Use whatever the local thin yogurt/ leben /kefir /buttermilk type thing is where you are.
posted by fingersandtoes at 3:55 PM on March 19

If you have ice cream, you can make two ingredient cake/bread! This is fun to experiment with when you have weird ice cream flavours.
posted by ceramicspaniel at 4:30 PM on March 19

You can sub it for all-purpose flour + baking powder + salt (maybe, check the ingredients) if you maintain the ratio.

The usual flour to baking powder ratio is one cup flour to one or one and a quarter teaspoon baking powder.

If the recipe calls for 2 cups flour and 2 tsp baking powder (e.g., muffins), you can use 2 cups self-raising flour. 1 cup flour and 2 tsp baking powder (e.g. pancakes), add 3/4 tsp of baking powder.
posted by JawnBigboote at 4:33 PM on March 19 [1 favorite]

Self-rising flour is a combination of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. The blend is typically comprised of 1 cup of all-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt.
Make all the cookies, and adjust baking powder and salt up if needed. You can't adjust down, but a little bit of extra baking powder and salt should be okay. Flatbread. Pancakes, cakes, quick breads. What baked goods are your favorite?
posted by theora55 at 6:09 PM on March 19

Dumplings. This recipe calls for shredded suet, which is available in Latino supermarkets.

Mince and dumplings - it's basically shepherds pie topped with dumplings instead of mashed potatoes. Use ground beef or ground lamb.
posted by shoesietart at 6:23 PM on March 19

Beer bread is good, if you have beer to spare.
posted by doift at 6:59 PM on March 19 [1 favorite]

I don't have a recipe but you can do fine biscuits (US sense) with that
posted by GCU Sweet and Full of Grace at 7:05 PM on March 19

I live in the Old South US and self-rising is THE flour for biscuits. Don't know how a family would eat 50 lbs worth, but...
posted by tmdonahue at 8:23 PM on March 19 [1 favorite]

Almost all the cakes and scones I bake use self-raising flour. Google a cake you like + "Mary Berry recipe" and you will get results.
posted by Balthamos at 1:01 AM on March 20 [1 favorite]

About a comment above. In the US South, the best-loved self rising flour is made with a flour that is softer than all-purpose, closer to cake flour. For many recipes, you can substitute cake flour for AP flour but the textures will be different.
posted by tmdonahue at 5:57 AM on March 20

pancakes/waffles
posted by ArgentCorvid at 9:08 AM on March 20

« Older Food/gift basket in NYC   |   All the cool and educational free video content Newer »