Recruiter response when you like where you are but are worried about lay

As with many of us at the moment I work in an industry where layoffs are a given at this point but nobody can predict who will get a notice or when. A recruiter reached out to me about a position, how do I respond?

Realistically I would be happy to stay where I am, especially because I just started with the organization late last year, but I probably need to stay open at this point as I'm in a pretty niche position and there aren't many openings.

The recruiter is internal to the hiring company so I can't be as candid as I might with an external recruiter. And I'm fully aware that while I was just contacted on Friday a hiring freeze might soon be in place so this position could vanish as easily as others right now. But I would like to respond and keep career lifelines open. How would you phrase a response in this situation?
posted by mireille to Work & Money (4 answers total)

Finishing the title - *layoffs
posted by mireille at 11:49 AM on March 16, 2020

How about "I'm happy where I am but I'm open to a conversation about the possibility of something even better?"
It seems like it would be worth exploring. You don' have to decide anything now. By the time they are ready to make an offer, things will have changed, possibly in unpredictable ways, so why not find out more?
posted by metahawk at 12:00 PM on March 16, 2020 [1 favorite]

I just started a new job after a recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. My line was "the best time to look for a job is when you already have one", which is true. I explained that I wasn't particularly looking to leave my then-current position, but if there's something that's potentially a better fit, it would have been irresponsible not learn more. I made it clear that, if this opportunity didn't work out, I'd have been happy staying at my old company. I like it because not only does it downplay any job-hoppiness on your part, it also sends a message to the new company that they won't be able to lowball you, so if you're really a candidate they're interested in, it could put you in a better bargaining position.
posted by kevinbelt at 12:03 PM on March 16, 2020 [1 favorite]

Thanks to you both, just sent the recruiter the message with the combined sentiments from both of your scripts. Much appreciated!
posted by mireille at 1:28 PM on March 16, 2020

« Older Planes, Trains and Automobiles: Pandemic Edition   |   Move to Seattle For Job in South Lake Union? Newer »