Should I go to the cinema in London, then visit my parents?

I bought a ticket to see The Wind at the BFI in London on Monday, now I'm wondering if I should stay home because of coronavirus.

I'm young and healthy, but I'll be visiting my parents the following week, both of whom are over 60, and my parents spend a lot of time with my 88 year old grandmother. I've wanted to see the Wind on the big screen for a long time, and I'm really looking forward to it, but I don't want to take unnecessary risks.
posted by Chenko to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There's a website with a message for you: Stay the Fuck Home.
posted by medusa at 1:16 PM on March 12, 2020 [14 favorites]

I mean, are you going to work or school? Are you visiting the grocery store? Are you taking cash change for your transactions? Sitting in a cinema likely to be empty isn't adding more unnecessary risk than the rest of your day to day. You can probably book an empty seat on either side if you want to be cautious.
posted by DarlingBri at 1:39 PM on March 12, 2020 [2 favorites]

Sitting in a cinema likely to be empty isn't adding more unnecessary risk than the rest of your day to day.

It may not add more risk than other things, but it does add. Everything counts. We can talk about the level of risk it adds (probably very low), but every choice you make to not do something like this is an opportunity to limit the spread of the disease. We don't have to be perfect, but we should make every reasonable choice we can.
posted by Betelgeuse at 1:48 PM on March 12, 2020 [10 favorites]

If you’ll be spending the week before seeing your parents moving around London, using public transport, going into work, etc, I would be concerned about seeing parents full stop, regardless of any cinema visit. Although your risk calculation will of course depend on why it is you’re seeing them.
posted by inire at 1:48 PM on March 12, 2020 [7 favorites]

The best film in the world isn't worth killing my parents for, so I'd skip it, on the grounds of unnecessary exposure.
posted by ManyLeggedCreature at 1:56 PM on March 12, 2020 [3 favorites]

I'd skip both.
posted by pazazygeek at 2:07 PM on March 12, 2020 [1 favorite]

I suspect we're at the point of maximum uncertainty with regard to Covid-19. Or as somebody else put it, everybody's either panicking too much or not enough.

Bottom line: what things do you NEED to do? Those are the only things you should be doing until there's a clearer grasp of where we actually are with this thing.
posted by philip-random at 2:09 PM on March 12, 2020 [2 favorites]

Do not. This is such an easy call. It's hours of sharing air with other people sitting close to you. It's hours of touching surfaces touched by many many many many many people for no other reason than that you've looked forward to seeing a movie for a long time. Have you had to miss out on seeing movies you've looked forward to before? Surely at least a few, and surely for less-compelling reasons. This one missed movie makes up for all the prior missed movies because now you are missing a movie for a very important, even noble reason. You are joining with other good people to improve the world.
posted by Don Pepino at 2:31 PM on March 12, 2020 [2 favorites]

Please don’t go see your parents. We need to all be focused on protecting the vulnerable, and for now that means limiting contact as much as possible.
posted by ohio at 2:59 PM on March 12, 2020 [5 favorites]

Doctors in Italy are already having to make decisions about who they can treat when resources are limited. You know who gets treatment in that situation? Not your grandmother and probably not your parents. The stakes are just too high. For sure skip the movie. It is the definition of an unnecessary risk.

I’m less sure about visiting your parents.
posted by FencingGal at 3:51 PM on March 12, 2020 [3 favorites]

« Older Exercising under quarantine   |   Tools for mutual aid networks Newer »