Referrals to Explainer Articles on Trump and Brexit
February 28, 2020 12:33 PM   Subscribe

I am looking for a reference to what you feel is the single best, most simply written, yet most accurate "explainer" article for why enough Americans voted for Donald Trump and why enough British citizens voted for Brexit. (For your answers, please only provide one per each, not multiple links; what you feel is the single best.)

I have been thinking very unkindly about Trump and Brexit voters, much as I did Dubya voters a very long time ago.

While I think it unlikely I'd change my position on either issue, I'd like the best explanations I can find from the opposite side.

I doubt discussing the issues themselves in the comments would be productive, so I'd ask more links to what you feel is the best explainer articles from the opposite side on each issue, rather than arguing or summarizing them in the comments.
posted by WCityMike to Law & Government (13 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

I really liked this piece on Brexit in a historical context by Robert Saunders of Queen Mary, University of London

blogspot post
posted by DoveBrown at 12:42 PM on February 28, 2020

Definitely the "Where's my Elephant" Theory of History
posted by Dmenet at 1:04 PM on February 28, 2020 [5 favorites]

For me, Cracked always comes through.
posted by Melismata at 1:15 PM on February 28, 2020 [7 favorites]

The good ones are by historians, not journalists. I like Brexit is a necessary crisis – it reveals Britain’s true place in the world by David Edgerton.
posted by caek at 1:20 PM on February 28, 2020 [1 favorite]

From someone who lives among them, the cracked article from Melismata hits a nerve.
posted by domino at 1:30 PM on February 28, 2020

This is an apologia for generally (very) right-wing thought, rather than those particular votes, but as a liberal I found it lastingly enlightening - https://slatestarcodex.com/2013/03/03/reactionary-philosophy-in-an-enormous-planet-sized-nutshell/
posted by wattle at 3:40 PM on February 28, 2020

The ANDREW marr show introduction the Sunday after the vote. Should be on YouTube.
posted by catspajammies at 3:45 PM on February 28, 2020

Not a single article, but a series of videos: Anywhere But Westminster. Perhaps not an explainer as such, but some good insights into the lives and worldviews of the people whose votes led to Brexit.
posted by pipeski at 4:06 PM on February 28, 2020

Listen Liberal by Thomas Frank. This guardian article by the author is a bit of a synopsis of the book.
posted by hotcoroner at 7:10 PM on February 28, 2020

Mueller’s report is a warning – and Britain won’t listen (Carole Cadwalladr, Guardian Opinion, Mar. 30, 2019)
posted by katra at 8:20 AM on February 29, 2020

Britain needs its own Mueller report on Russian ‘interference’ (Glenn R Simpson and Peter Fritsch, Guardian Opinion, Dec. 12, 2019)
posted by katra at 11:41 AM on February 29, 2020

A Scarcity Mindset.
posted by cmcmcm at 12:01 PM on February 29, 2020

« Older Seeking parent resources for childhood anxiety   |   What is the prize you get for marathoning Moby... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.