Golden birthday

I’ll be having a golden birthday in a couple months and trying to start thinking of celebration ideas now. Previous birthdays have involved a picnic potluck in a park, and multiple potlucks at various places I’ve lived. I want ideas of things I could do that feel a bit special but don’t involve all the effort falling on me. I’m in the Twin Cities.
posted by azalea_chant to Grab Bag (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Hire a food truck?
posted by tmdonahue at 4:59 PM on February 12

My friend, who just celebrated her golden birthday, rented out a venue's room and had a cash bar. She supplied a cake. She asked everyone to wear gold. Most people in fact, did wear gold, and some went all out! It was a nice way to get people to participate a little.
posted by hydra77 at 5:05 PM on February 12 [2 favorites]

For those who, like me, were unaware - a "golden birthday" is when you are turning the same age as your birth date (i.e., turning 25 on the 25th, or turning 7 on the 7th).

Is there some bar where you could have a private party room with some food, and then you just have everyone wear gold? Or they wear black and white formalwear and YOU wear gold?
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 5:56 PM on February 12 [1 favorite]

I don’t know that I want to spend enough for a private room necessarily (unless they’re free).

I’m also up for recommendations that don’t focus on the golden part - I mostly want to do something particularly special.
posted by azalea_chant at 6:44 PM on February 12

I had assumed it was the 50th birthday, like a golden anniversary! Guess I missed mine in the first grade!

How about an old-fashioned murder mystery party? A Night of Mystery has downloadable materials you can customize for your numbers.
posted by The Underpants Monster at 7:19 PM on February 12

You can stick with the potluck feel but get the food catered. I did this for a housewarming party; big trays of Indian food were surprisingly inexpensive.
posted by metasarah at 6:45 AM on February 13

Party rooms at bars can be somewhat affordable. Usually their cost is built into the cost of food and beverage. For example, the room rental is $450. But everything that is spent in the room (drinks and food purchased by your friends) goes toward that $450. You will only pay the difference. It's worth calling around to places you like. If you have the party on an off-peak day/time, they may also cut you a deal. No price is set in stone. Here's one brewery in Minneapolis, for example, with event space. They'll let you bring in your own food, too.

It's hard to make suggestions without a little more feedback from you - how many people are you looking to entertain? What do you like to do?

You could do an escape room with your closest friends. You could play laser tag. You could rent out a movie theater. Do you drink? You could rent a limo and go wine tasting.
posted by hydra77 at 8:48 AM on February 13

Asian-style Music box karaoke? This is not your regular dive bar, big crowd of strangers, type of karaoke night. Instead, you and your friends get a private room and they serve food/drinks.
posted by tinymegalo at 2:48 PM on February 13

Probably around 10-20. Not sure what you mean by the second question. I like art, reading, writing, taking walks, ice skating, nature. Don’t know that all of those translate to birthday parties.
posted by azalea_chant at 9:36 AM on February 16

« Older can leftover lentil mush tranform into a beautiful...   |   More like Mort Newer »