No visible panty line...

Ladies who wear leggings/yoga pants: how do you get away with no VPL (visible panty line)? Do you go commando? Or wear a thong? Everyone must know how to do this but me.......
posted by anonymous to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (30 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

A combination of wearing things (lacy ones tend to show less to me), getting quality leggings that are thicker and not see through, making sure leggings are the right size and not too light which can exacerbate the issue
posted by raccoon409 at 6:23 AM on January 25, 2020 [3 favorites]

I think everyone does something different based on their body shape and *ahem* gynecological sensitivities. An option you didn't mention is no-show seamless microfiber underpants which are widely available. Since underpants are mostly inexpensive you should get a few different types and experiment. I would also say that having a tiny bit of VPL is not the end of the world, especially if you're just going to the gym or something. VPL is a tool of the patriarchy just like everything else.
posted by genmonster at 6:26 AM on January 25, 2020 [74 favorites]

I have concluded it is impossible for me to not have vpl in leggings, at least until I finally find my holy grail of actually-fitting underwear. And I won't wear thongs because ugh. I wear loose, running type shorts over the top, or a really long vest top that covers my butt, and now never have to worry about wearing the slightly wrong kind of pants. This works better at the gym than yoga.

A lot of people on r/xxfitness just go commando, but I hate that too.
posted by stillnocturnal at 6:57 AM on January 25, 2020

Commando, but agree with genmonster everybody probably has their own strategy.
posted by probably not that Karen Blair at 6:58 AM on January 25, 2020

I have a few pairs of those seamless no show underwear. One brand I have I absolutely hate (unfortunately I bought like 5 pairs), doesn't stay in place, so definitely shop around and try a couple.

Also, another vote for 'I don't really care that much if people can tell I'm wearing underwear.'
posted by geegollygosh at 7:22 AM on January 25, 2020 [10 favorites]

I wear a thong if I want to look cute in my leggings, and seamless undies when I want to work out in my leggings (in which case I don’t care about panty lines).
posted by amaire at 8:02 AM on January 25, 2020

I wear a thong. I can’t stand having the extra fabric from underwear bunching and riding up.
posted by nathaole at 8:26 AM on January 25, 2020

I am also one of those folks who don't care about panty lines - if anyone's looking that closely at my arse, their eyes deserve what they get. I do favour leggings with thicker fabric though, mostly because they're usually the ones that have good pockets.
posted by Mary Ellen Carter at 8:36 AM on January 25, 2020 [9 favorites]

I go commando in my fitness leggings. Gotta feel freeeeee!
posted by elke_wood at 8:37 AM on January 25, 2020 [2 favorites]

I decided I don't care. "Woman Wears Underpants: SHOCK HORROR." What-the-fuck-ever. I'm over the shame and/or fetishisation of women's body parts and attire and I'm pretty sure VPL (there's a term that came straight from marketing...) is a made-up problem.
posted by DarlingBri at 8:42 AM on January 25, 2020 [33 favorites]

I just bought these to wear for workouts under leggings and I like them so far! Reviewers complain about the tags, but I cut them off and it’s fine.
posted by trillian at 8:52 AM on January 25, 2020

Boy shorts, if I were to go with the leggings-at-the-gym trend, which I don't. My actual solution is to wear men's workout pants, which conceal all crevices I don't wish to be seen, and include roomy pockets.
posted by Crystal Fox at 9:25 AM on January 25, 2020 [3 favorites]

The Uniqlo seamless underwear in nude-for-me hasn't shown through anything I've worn it with, though I haven't tried the really tissue-thin leggings. Looks like they have some selection of different "nude" colors, too.
posted by sepviva at 9:26 AM on January 25, 2020

The "invisible" underwear options that work best for me are briefs with little strips of silicone at the legs that keep them in place without the bulk of a band/elastic. Elastics bands always show through on me, thongs are a torture device, and no-elastic/no-silicone options tend to migrate into the depths. YMMV based on bottom! My specific favorites are the Soma Vanishing Edge line, but I'm sure the technology is available from other brands too.
posted by Ann Telope at 10:06 AM on January 25, 2020

I have some very thin boyshorts I wear under leggings if for some reason I am in a caring mood, but over the last five years or so I suddenly stopped caring. Thongs make my butt feel weird and I have underwear that i really like otherwise so I mostly just stop worrying about it.
posted by jessamyn at 10:13 AM on January 25, 2020

Commando
posted by Ausamor at 10:24 AM on January 25, 2020

I also dislike boy shorts. They feel strange and usually ride up.

I wish I could go sans underwear but I prefer the feeling of underwear for support and coverage and Jockey Air Seamfree Hi-cut show no panty lines. They also come in bikini cut. Notice that the bum seam is bonded. I do a lot of yoga and these are invisible under leggings (thick and thin). Avoid anything with sewn seems and look for bonded seams. These are my favorite underwear and wear them under things like white jeans and jersey skirts and dresses. No lines!

Also, this is obvious -- buy your size or go up a size so they don't dig in anywhere.
posted by loveandhappiness at 10:37 AM on January 25, 2020

Boy shorts or these mid thigh ones are even better. I'm quite plump on my lower half, and you just don't see where these end as you do with traditional undies.
posted by Neeuq Nus at 10:59 AM on January 25, 2020

I wear leggings to exercise only. For exercise A, I wear gigantic granny panties. There's no visible waistband because it's at the same level of the legging waistband. And I've decided not to care about any visible line for the bottom part of the undies. For exercise B, I do wear a thong.
posted by BlahLaLa at 12:07 PM on January 25, 2020

I go commando when I wear leggings, which is almost never for working out ever since I discovered Uniqlo sweatpants, which fit so wonderfully, tapering to almost nothing, that I think I look more attractive than in leggings and am way more comfortable. I tell myself they’re retro cool.
posted by HotToddy at 12:54 PM on January 25, 2020

I think few people know how to do this because VPL is everywhere. Does it really matter if people know you're wearing underwear? Thicker, non-skintight leggings help, but if your leggings are super tight then everything shows anyway.
posted by betweenthebars at 12:59 PM on January 25, 2020

I have bought no show underwear and also wear thicker leggings.
posted by Attackpanda at 6:50 PM on January 25, 2020

I wear thongs! Due to my anatomical peculiarities, thongs are the easiest way for me to prevent butt chafe when I'm running or walking. But I absolutely have had to try different ones to find the most comfy.
posted by linettasky at 7:15 PM on January 25, 2020

I wear Zella Refocus Recycled Leggings by Nordstrom. Only Hearts Organic Cotton High Waist Briefs (I have two pair -- one black, the other beige) don't indicate their presence under anything and are marvelously comfortable.
posted by virago at 7:48 PM on January 25, 2020

The Zella leggings that I just mentioned have been a godsend as I've adjusted to the impact that menopause- and Hashimoto's disease-related weight gain have had on my body.
posted by virago at 7:57 PM on January 25, 2020

I just wear thicker leggings. Or boy shorts.
posted by jenfullmoon at 7:47 AM on January 26, 2020

I mostly don't care about VPL, but I also wear pretty thin underwear (Patagonia active bikinis) and thicker yoga pants so it hasn't really been a concern. It's possible my PL is V sometimes and I just haven't noticed.
posted by rhiannonstone at 8:36 PM on January 26, 2020

The lunch table discussion was divided: 50% giving zero fucks about VPL and 50% went kinda commando using a panty liner. One hold out goes fully commando and calls it "riding the seam" which elicited 10 minutes of laughter.
posted by IndigoOnTheGo at 12:55 PM on January 27, 2020 [1 favorite]

If I'm wearing leggings, I am also wearing a top that comes down far enough to cover the panty line area, so for me VPL isn't an issue because my top covers it.
posted by Julnyes at 1:22 PM on January 27, 2020 [1 favorite]

I size up in stretchy skin tight bottoms, be they leggings or tights or skirts. The fabric stays thicker because less stretching is demanded of it and it usually also eliminates or reduces vpl. I wear whatever cotton 5 pack bikini cut undies.
posted by WeekendJen at 11:19 AM on February 2, 2020

« Older Curly Girl, Plopping, Sleeping and Fuzzy Back-Head   |   No Medicaid, no insurance through a job. What do... Newer »