Abdominal muscle cramps and shortness of breath

Hey guys, I've got something crazy going on. I have a temp job and I've been sitting for 8 hours a day. It's causing lower back pain. And I don't know if it's related to the muscle problem I'm having. I am going to the doctor tomorrow but I'm curious as to what could be causing abdominal muscle cramping that's painful like a calf muscle cramping combined with shortness of breath. While it's happening I just can't seem to get a deep breath in and it passes in a couple of minutes. It's happened three times today. Any thoughts? Thanks.
posted by KleenexMakesaVeryGoodHat to Health & Fitness (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Oh, it primarily happens when I get up to walk from one end of the condo to the other or from the parking lot to the front door of a building.
posted by KleenexMakesaVeryGoodHat at 5:32 PM on January 16, 2020

Nevermind. I'm going to the ER. It could be an abdominal aneurism.
posted by KleenexMakesaVeryGoodHat at 5:48 PM on January 16, 2020 [1 favorite]

I'm glad you're going to get checked out. Please come back to let us know that you're ok.
posted by belladonna at 5:53 PM on January 16, 2020 [3 favorites]

Yeah, I came into say ER. I hope it's not anything serious after all, but...
posted by wintersweet at 6:58 PM on January 16, 2020

I'm in the ER. EMT palpitated my abdomen and probably no aneurysm. Waiting to see doctor. Will come back and report tomorrow. Sleep well, everyone! I'm so glad to have this community.
posted by KleenexMakesaVeryGoodHat at 7:31 PM on January 16, 2020 [16 favorites]

Assuming your EMT is correct (and I hope they are!) -- I've had that type of abdominal cramp randomly on ab-tightening since I started doing abdominal work like hollow body holds and planking.

I've had no shortness of breath, though, and that is definitely not a symptom anyone should ever ignore. Do let us know how this turns out!
posted by invincible summer at 5:24 AM on January 17, 2020

Hello and happy Friday! I'm glad to report that nothing was found to be wrong. I've been given a sublingual tablet to take if I feel the cramps starting; it should stop them almost immediately. As for the actual cause, the doctor doesn't know. I have a hunch: I've been doing some temp work that has me sitting in a chair 8 hours a day. It's been causing some really bad lower back pain and I think my abs are trying to compensate. I think, and the doctor agrees, that the shortness of breath and panicked feeling is a response to the extreme pain caused by the cramps. All of this info will go to my PCP and we'll talk about it next time I see her. Thank you for all of the support. I was up late and am going to crash and probably sleep most of the day. Enjoy the weekend!
posted by KleenexMakesaVeryGoodHat at 8:18 AM on January 17, 2020 [10 favorites]

« Older Best mixer for bread dough   |   Are "sensitive" and "trying to be accurate"... Newer »