ID this forgotten album

I had a copy of a folk album from the mid-1960s, but all I can remember is the sleeve art.

The album was by a solo male artist from the 1960s, possibly from upstate New York. The sleeve was a grainy, wide-shot photo of him sitting in three-quarter profile with his back to the corner of a room, playing guitar with a neutral expression on his face. The pressing I owned had a blue border and his name in a sans serif font in the upper left corner.

From what I remember, this was his only album. He had serious depression and died young in the 80s-90s. One of his songs was featured in a prestige indie drama in the early 2010s. It’s not Jackson C. Frank.

Does this ring any bells?
posted by pxe2000 to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Was it Nick Drake's Bryter Layter? The visuals you describe kind of match but not all the other details.
posted by niicholas at 5:49 AM on January 14

It wasn’t Nick Drake. Someone far more obscure.
posted by pxe2000 at 5:51 AM on January 14

Epic Soundtracks? He died in 1997.
posted by frumiousb at 6:04 AM on January 14

Not Epic Soundtracks. The guy I have in mind was American and released this album in the 1960s.
posted by pxe2000 at 6:10 AM on January 14

Tim Hardin?
posted by Jode at 6:41 AM on January 14

I think it's Val Stoecklein's Grey Life.
posted by Scram at 7:38 AM on January 14 [7 favorites]

YES, SCRAM! Thank you !
posted by pxe2000 at 8:35 AM on January 14 [1 favorite]

« Older how to help ensure optimal ambiance at a dog park?   |   Waiting for a Rheumatologist Newer »