What should I put in an exam revision kit?
December 17, 2019 10:21 AM   Subscribe

Niece aged 15 takes her GCSEs next summer and is currently a fairly dedicated reviser. I want to make a revision kit for her as a Christmas present. What should I include? So far - revision planner; book on revision; highlighters; index cards; maybe a lavender bag for calming smells.
posted by paduasoy to Education (10 answers total)

I like tape flags for marking pages.
posted by LizardBreath at 10:42 AM on December 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

Get thee to Paperchase and find cute versions of stationary- page markers, paperclips, highlighters, scissors, post-its, fun pens, etc etc.
posted by Balthamos at 11:06 AM on December 17, 2019

A book stand?
posted by momus_window at 11:25 AM on December 17, 2019

Some kind of whiteboard - could just be the largest piece of white paper you can find, laminated, if you don’t want her room to feel like a classroom. And some dry wipe pens and something to put it on the wall with. For writing lists, schedules, notes-to-self etc.
posted by penguin pie at 11:50 AM on December 17, 2019

Highlighting is not a super effective study strategy, as it turns out. Making one's own notes using colorful pencils or pens/markers, on the other hand, can be. Switch out highlighters for a nice set of colored pens. Maybe a book on study skills, concept mapping, or related topic?
posted by eviemath at 12:03 PM on December 17, 2019 [2 favorites]

snacks!
posted by brilliantine at 12:55 PM on December 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

Coffee shop gift card!
posted by wellifyouinsist at 3:56 PM on December 17, 2019 [2 favorites]

Excellent pens for note-taking.
posted by gryphonlover at 5:01 PM on December 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

A Time Turner necklace
posted by clew at 10:37 PM on December 17, 2019

My daughter is also 15 and a very diligent note taker and constructor of A4 sized topic revision sheets. Her absolute favourite tool is the laminator. She really likes the way the notes transform into something more permanent/reusable/displayable, apparently its a very satisfying and rewarding way to end reviewing a topic. We got her laminator online, its small enough to fit in a desk draw and only cost about £!5 to £20. The pouches aren't too pricey either if bought online.

Good luck to her in the exams.
posted by samworm at 6:40 AM on December 18, 2019

« Older Pharmacy protocol for flu shot   |   Which Spanish-language singers would I like? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments