Video Game Boss Music Playlist
December 13, 2019 7:30 AM   Subscribe

I'd like help expanding a Spotify playlist composed entirely of Boss (or Boss-like) video game music. Some considerations inside.

Basically what the title says. I created the playlist as a psychological boost and so far it's worked quite well. But I soon realized that it's heavily inspired by the games I know and play, and I figured there must be lots more music that I'm missing, so I turn to your collective wisdom for help.

What I'm looking for is:
  • Music from videogames
  • Available on Spotify because reasons
  • Themes from Boss fights (or other similar high-intensity moments).
  • Should give off a sense of danger and/or urgency.
  • No covers if possible. Exceptions can be made for notably good music
  • I'm looking for the best themes per game/franchise. While there's no hard limit per game/franchise, I'm not looking for a comprehensive playlist.
The playlist can be found right here if anyone's interested in it. Thank you very much in advance!
posted by andycyca to Media & Arts (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I don't use Spotify because reasons, but look for music from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls (I, II, III), and Dragon's Dogma.
posted by seanmpuckett at 7:53 AM on December 13, 2019

Sapientia In the choice between good and evil from Bayonetta
posted by queseyo at 7:59 AM on December 13, 2019

Yes to souls. Xenogears had an amazing soundtrack. Assassin's Creed has some solid choices.
posted by bfranklin at 9:01 AM on December 13, 2019

MEGALOVANIA from Undertale!
posted by rather be jorting at 9:20 AM on December 13, 2019 [1 favorite]

I don't use Spotify, but maybe this stuff is there.
  • Swift Horse and most of the rest of the Shadow Of The Colossus soundtrack.
  • Birth Of A Wish and a bunch of other stuff from Neir: Automata.
  • The Halo 3 Warthog Run and other high points of that soundtrack. Reach also has a lot of greatness in it. ODST is my personal favorite of the lot, but doesn't fit your boss-battle theme.
  • Assassin's Creed 2 is the high water mark of that series' soundtrack-wise, IMO.
  • You're shortchanging yourself by skipping covers. See Theophany or the Zelda Re-Orchestrated stuff for more information. Orchestral renditions of old 8- and 16-bit games can be amazing.
  • Katamari Damacy's A Crimson Rose And A Gin Tonic is IMO the high point of an excellent album, though also not particularly boss-battly.

posted by mhoye at 11:33 AM on December 13, 2019

Spotify: Battle Songs
posted by WCityMike at 5:04 PM on December 13, 2019 [1 favorite]

> seanmpuckett:
"look for music from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls (I, II, III), and Dragon's Dogma."

Will do! Any particular pieces that fit the theme?

- - -

> mhoye:
"most of the rest of the Shadow Of The Colossus soundtrack."

SotC has one of the best boss themes in history but is sadly not on Spotify. As for avoiding covers: it's not that I *really* want to avoid it, it's just that the playlist will (hopefully) pull double duty for a friend of mine who's making some kind of work on orchestration. As she told me, she wishes to use the "original" versions of the themes, for what exact purpose I don't know.

That said, your answer has a good lot of pieces! Thanks a lot!

- - -

Keep 'em coming!
posted by andycyca at 5:34 PM on December 13, 2019

If you're open to nonexistent imaginary videogames, the Final Boss track from Music For A 1950s Video Game is fun.
posted by Harvey Kilobit at 8:00 PM on December 13, 2019

Can't go wrong with the classic Pokemon Battle Theme (bonus: it never ends!)

VVVVVV had a fantastic chiptune soundtrack; the most bost-battly being Pushing Onwards. In a similar vein, Super Hexagon's thumping three-song soundtrack (8:32 total) is perfect for a game that's like one never-ending boss battle; my personal fave is Otis, but Focus is probably a better fit.

Seconding the Halo main theme, specifically the version from Halo 2 with Steve Vai on electric guitar (which played during the very first encounter with the massive Scarab tank)

The original Shadow of the Colossus score isn't on Spotify, but there are some pretty faithful orchestral covers, like this version from Video Games Live (around the 1:00 mark).

GTA IV: Soviet Connection
posted by Rhaomi at 8:56 PM on December 13, 2019

This is my son responding: I recommend the songs from undertale like death by glamour, asgore, heartache, battle against a true hero and the rest of the songs. (those were just highlights). On the other hand if you're looking for a more jazzy approach I would say songs from cuphead like: floral fury, threatening zeppelin, carnival kerfuffle, dramatic fanatic and a lot of the others.
posted by a22lamia at 11:41 AM on December 14, 2019

« Older Will upgrading windows 7 to windows 10 break my...   |   Adult AD(H)D diagnosis and treatment for dummies Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments