how do I page down on my telephone's internet browser?

When I am reading a web site on firefox on my laptop, I can type a space show the next screen's worth of text, as if I had turned a page in a book. On my telephone, the only way I know to read further is to put my finger on the screen and slide it up, which shows successive lines the more I slide. It's slow and finicky and a little nauseating to slide the website until the last line I read is at the top of my screen. How do I get page-like reading behavior on my telephone?
posted by meaty shoe puppet to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

Ah, I should add that I am using Chrome on Android. I'm not attached to the Chrome, but it's more trouble than it's worth to install a new OS.
posted by meaty shoe puppet at 9:29 PM on December 1, 2019

If you don't mind ditching Chrome, it looks like the Dolphin browser supports optional page up/down scrolling with the volume keys.
posted by Rhaomi at 9:54 PM on December 1, 2019

There are some add-ons for this in Firefox. Here's one example (I haven't tried it personally, though).
posted by trig at 11:29 PM on December 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Just out of curiousity, does a flick, as opposed to press-drag, do the trick?
posted by WCityMike at 8:25 AM on December 2, 2019

Flicking causes the same kind of smooth sliding I don't want, except it appears to continue after I lift my finger, so I get even less control. I've switched to Firefox. Thanks!
posted by meaty shoe puppet at 7:34 AM on December 4, 2019

« Older How can I mend fences in a Guess culture friendly...   |   What to expect from therapy in the longer term Newer »