Google is worthless without knowing the names of stuff

What is this type of handheld shower head connector - and how do I (temporarily) change it to a regular fitting for a fixed shower head? Pic inside.

Pic

Landlord said it'd be ok if I change the handheld shower head to a fixed one that I provide (that's I've had for over a decade, bringing it with me every time I moved).

Can't figure out what this type of connector is called, how to unscrew it, and what kind of adapter is required to accommodate a regular shower head.

Bonus question - if it just unscrews, how do I do it with hand tools without scratching up the chrome? I've tried and can't get it to budge with my fingers (if indeed, it's supposed to unscrew).
posted by porpoise to Home & Garden (5 answers total)

I believe you’ll find that under "Wall Elbow for Hand Shower".

They screw on.
posted by Tell Me No Lies at 2:23 PM on November 16, 2019

Use a rubber strap wrench to unscrew it without damaging the fitting.
posted by Mitheral at 2:38 PM on November 16, 2019 [2 favorites]

Here is a pdf of instructions on how to install a similar one from Delta.

If you don't have a strap wrench, you can pad the jaws of a pipe wrench with a strip of leather or similar material so it does not mar the fitting.

Using teflon tape when you install the new pipe/fitting will lessen the chance of it dripping inside the wall.
posted by tronec at 2:47 PM on November 16, 2019

You asked what it is. This won't help, but my husband has always called that type of showerhead as a telephone. You have to be old enough to remember telephones when they sat on a table and a curly-cord connected a handset.
posted by tmdonahue at 3:24 PM on November 16, 2019 [1 favorite]

Thanks all!

Yeah, the wall elbow - even if I took it off, I'd have to get an adaptor or something for the regular shower head.

So I got a Waterpik and replaced the telephone handset part of it. That Waterpik, man, that's some nice showering - better than the showerhead I've been moving with me.
posted by porpoise at 3:55 PM on November 16, 2019

« Older How do I get better at staying put?   |   American in Europe? Newer »