Where is lying to police legal?
November 8, 2019 9:51 AM   Subscribe

In which countries, if any, is lying to police unpunished?

Based on this (very interesting!) little twitter conversation about breaking out of prison in Iceland / Germany and Mexico, I was thinking about a similar question:

In which countries is it considered normal to lie to the police and lying, when discovered, goes unpunished?

In the UK, there's a specific offence of "perverting the course of justice" which often results in a longer sentence than the original offence would have done. I used to live in Italy, and had the impression from friends that lying to the police was considered somehow "legal" there, but I can't find any evidence of this. Does anyone know of any examples where either lying to the police is fine (because there's no law), or a specifically protected form of speech?
posted by chappell, ambrose to Law & Government (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Lying to federal agents is against the law in the United States, but at the state level, there are at least some states where a lie is not in and of itself a criminal act. It can potentially be a part of, e.g., an obstruction of justice charge, but would not necessarily be a crime at all. Depends on the state.
posted by skewed at 10:56 AM on November 8 [3 favorites]

Police generally are governed by state or city statutes, and whenever they ask questions in an attempt to gain information about an investigation they have the right to use your truths or lies to help prosecute the crime or whatever they are investigating. If you exert your fifth amendment right to not speak then you are not committing any punishable crime but lying is punishable everywhere
If there's a cop, theres a code.
posted by The_imp_inimpossible at 4:52 AM on November 10

« Older National Geographic was wrong!!   |   Best app for merging family member calendars? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments