What are my insurance options (while unemployed) in NY state?

I live in New York, am quitting my job, and plan on traveling and maybe doing a freelance project or two in the next 3-4 months. What are my health insurance options in the meantime?

I'm healthy, mid-40s, have 1 or 2 prescriptions but otherwise don't require a bunch of doctor's visits or anything. COBRA is pretty damned expensive. As an unemployed person, is my main option to go to the state insurance marketplace and choose a plan? Or...?

Never really been unemployed for months at time like this and just want to make sure what the best options are or what others' experiences have been - thanks!
posted by critzer to Work & Money (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Yup, state marketplace.
Make a reasonable projection of your freelance income to see if you qualify for a subsidy, and try your best to pick the least-terrible plan that's within your budget.

Your definition of “least terrible” may vary, but for me it was availability of a primary care doctor with passable online reviews within easy travel of my apartment, and a telemedicine option. In your case, you may want to prioritize good out-of-network coverage since you'll be traveling.

If you can, make an appointment with an in-person Marketplace Navigator to help you through the process.
posted by D.Billy at 4:50 PM on November 7 [1 favorite]

Conditionally retroactively electing COBRA may be a good, cost-effective option. See my recent question for more.
posted by Cogito at 12:46 PM on November 8

You can try calling or emailing this guy- super nice, and you don't pay him. And I used him when doing an unpaid internship. He won't try to sell you on things you don't need.

Donald Cotter
Senior Agent
Your Health Insurance Agency
535 Broadhollow Road, Ste A-11
Melville, New York 11747

(v) 631-923-2662

(f) 631-470-5698
DCotter@yourhealthagents.com
posted by the twistinside at 11:34 AM on November 9

« Older Tell me about your Ektorp   |   Gift for 9 year old cat lover Newer »