How to do reparations on an individual scale?
October 16, 2019 11:08 AM Subscribe
We inherited $250,000 a couple years ago. After sitting on it for a couple years, we have decided we would like to give it to international reparations. Please help us figure out how.
- We would prefer to give to people who live in parts of the world where the USA should already be paying reparations as a national policy.
- We would prefer to give directly to people who live in parts of the world where this money will stretch the farthest.
- We know we will probably have to use a nonprofit. We would prefer an organization that is operated by people who are from wherever the money goes.
- Give directly is a potential candidate, but we don't like that they require people to have cell phones to receive the money. We'd like to know what else is out there.
- We are ok with giving the money to several organizations if that makes the most sense. We are ok with giving it to non-organizations if we can be sure the money would be distributed responsibly.
- We don't care if 50 people get $5000 (enough to buy a house) or if 2500 people get $100 (enough to live on for a while). Etc.
- Is there anything else related to this question as asked that we should be considering? Good examples: Discussing how exchange rates may reduce the value of our donation; discussing if there's anything we need to know about US taxes; and so forth. Bad example: Discussing how we might need the money someday.