How do I make a rectangle in Paint.net?

Using the Rectangle Select tool I end up with a shaded proposed outline of a rectangle but not the actual rectangle. I don't understand how to make it commit, and actually draw the rectangle.

You know, you can keep dragging the corner of the rectangle around and changing the size to see how it looks before you commit to a size and it actually draws the rectangle. I can do that.

But I don't understand how to make it commit, and actually draw the rectangle. I don't see any obvious button to click to do this, and Enter doesn't do it. Enter eliminates even the proposed rectangle.

This is apparently too trivial to be covered by the documentation.

This is Paint.Net, not Microsoft Paint. I'm guessing that it works the same as Gimp or Photoshop, so if you know how it works there please go ahead and answer.

posted by lockedroomguy to Computers & Internet (1 answer total)

Instead of "Rectangle Select", you want to click "Shapes" at the bottom of the tool palette. You'll see a new menu bar that lets you select the type of shape you want to draw, brush width, line style, fill, etc. "Rectangle Select" is for using a rectangular select box to highlight something else, not draw a shape.
posted by briank at 10:47 AM on October 2 [4 favorites]

« Older Taking more noise out of life   |   Shouldn't texting from the US to the UK be less of... Newer »