Help with Mexican Spanish/Spanglish cursing?

Profanity filter: For a story I'm writing, I need some help with a bit of cursing in Spanish (specifically Mexican). Putting the rest behind the cut for bad language....

The character in question is suddenly in a lot of pain and bursts out swearing. In English it would be something like "Ow, ow, ow, fuck, mother-fucking son of a bitch, it hurts! Argh!," but it doesn't need to be precisely translated. (Feel free to offer something more elaborate and/or mixed with English!)

For further context, the character is a multi-ethnic woman (Tohono O'odham/Latina) working in law enforcement in Arizona and is partway through being zombified.

Thanks in advance!
posted by velvet_n_purrs to Writing & Language (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

¡AY! i(pronounced eye)
is the spanish equivalent of OW

maybe pinche hijo de chingada for mf-ing SOB.

¡Duele! for it hurts!
posted by brujita at 9:21 AM on September 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

chinga for fuck
posted by brujita at 9:21 AM on September 17, 2019

+1 to hijo de la chingada
posted by STFUDonnie at 9:40 AM on September 17, 2019 [4 favorites]

Often shortened simply to chingada in my experience.
posted by tilde at 9:42 AM on September 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

"Ow, ow, ow, fuck, mother-fucking son of a bitch, it hurts! Argh!,"

"ow, ow, ow, carajo, hijo de la chingada que duele! argh!"
posted by alchemist at 10:01 AM on September 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

pinche cabrón would also sort of fit here, used in the same sense as M-F.
posted by jquinby at 10:30 AM on September 17, 2019

chingada would be directed at a woman; I've read that it's worse than puta because whores ostensibly have agency.
posted by brujita at 10:56 AM on September 17, 2019 [1 favorite]

Would something like this work (not necessarily as a literal translation but catching the spirit)?

Ow, ow, ay, fuck! Pinche chingada madre, it hurts! Argh!

(It's OK if she's being super offensive; her filter is totally off at this point.)
posted by velvet_n_purrs at 11:32 AM on September 17, 2019

i think pinche cabrón(bastard/ billy goat), mugroso(slimeball/grimy) or pendejo (asshole/ pubic hair)would work better.
posted by brujita at 5:01 PM on September 17, 2019

I’d go with puta madre, hijo de la chingada, or chingada madre. I’ve heard all three firsthand from Mexicans sustaining minor injuries—stubbed toes, pinched fingers, that kind of thing.

Adding pinche might make it seem like you’re a gringo that’s trying (too hard) to use Mexican vulgarities; I think it’ll sound more authentic to leave it out. Pinche cabrón is more useful for describing people, like the car salesman who took you to the cleaners.

Ay cabrón! is good as an expression of surprise, though not necessarily pain.

But I say work in madre, and/or some variant of the verb chingar, which is as Mexican as the margarita.
posted by vitout at 5:34 PM on September 17, 2019

Thank you all so much! ^_^
posted by velvet_n_purrs at 5:45 PM on September 17, 2019

« Older Whose autographs are on this dollar bill?   |   Skincare for Men - Instructions Included Newer »