Like Warby Parker, but brick and mortar in New York?

Tired of Warby Parker's options, where else can I find affordable prescription sunglasses that I can try on in person in New York?

Hello! I've been purchasing my prescription frames from Warby Parker for years and years now, and while I love them, their prices keep slowly creeping upward and I'm tired of their selection. Are there other comparable places in Manhattan/Brooklyn that I can go try on frames in person? Yes this is the key requirement as I'm fully aware of the online options but shipping and receiving are a huge pain in the ass for me and my face is hard to fit. I'm mostly in the market for prescription sunglasses at the moment so places with a wide selection of those would be great. Trying to keep the whole cost (frames + lenses) under $200. My prescription is very standard and I don't need any kind of special lenses (and I have zero interest in transition lenses, no thank you). Does Warby Parker have any good competitors that have popped up in the city lately?

posted by greta simone to Shopping (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

See Eyewear?
posted by Morpeth at 9:04 AM on September 14

It might be worth it to get a Costco membership to buy glasses there. They have some very nice frames! I bought two pair at Costco recently for less than a single pair at the opticians. And that was without using my insurance benefit. Progressive lenses were $129 and my frames were $59 and $79 each.
posted by vespabelle at 9:44 AM on September 14 [3 favorites]

See Eyewear

Things may have changed in the intervening decade, but I had a series of plastic frames from See break after a few months to a year of use from 2006-2010. If I recall correctly they did offer a free/warantee replacement at least once but it was a pain.
posted by pullayup at 11:28 AM on September 14

Fabulous Fannys and Cohen's Fashion Optical should both have < $200 options and a fairly wide selection. Moscot has the selection but their < $200 choices might be a bit limited.

I went to See the last time I was looking for frames and while I thought they had an okay selection and good prices, I thought the styles were all a bit boring. Maybe a pass if you're also tired of Warby.
posted by mustardayonnaise at 2:36 PM on September 14 [1 favorite]

I have bought a bunch of pairs of glasses from SEE since about 2013, as has my ex-husband, and we're both very satisfied customers. The people who work there are also super helpful. Also they have great customer serviceā€”I just went in this morning because the tint on the sunnies I picked up a few weeks ago is way too dark, and they didn't give me any grief about replacing the lenses.
posted by radioamy at 3:39 PM on September 14

Try Optical 88 on Mott St, or any other Chinatown optics place, they are all super affordable and quick
posted by eusebis_w_adorno at 9:08 AM on September 15

Just an FYI for those interested, SEE eyewear starts at $250 for simple prescription, so not in my range.
posted by greta simone at 9:59 AM on September 24

« Older Examples of traditional North American...   |   How many different car models have ever been made? Newer »