Searching for the right word[s]

Is there a thesaurus for idioms? Previous Asks focus on trying to find idioms that contain a given single word, a dictionary for which exists. What I want is to look up phrases based on similar meaning. My specific need is looking up different ways to say "call [someone] on the telephone" ["give me up buzz", "hit up my cell"], NOT idioms that include the words "call" or "telephone".
posted by smokysunday to Writing & Language (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Using your example, thesaurus.com includes these phrases...
posted by TWinbrook8 at 5:51 PM on September 12, 2019

Brewer's might be helpful?
posted by Chrysostom at 7:45 PM on September 12, 2019

TheIdioms.com, maybe?

An old-school substitution: "I'll get you on the Ameche" from 1941's Ball of Fire. (Don Ameche played the inventor of the telephone in 1939's The Story of Alexander Graham Bell; in Ball of Fire, a professor is collecting slang terms for an encyclopedia.)
posted by Iris Gambol at 8:23 PM on September 12, 2019

« Older Sharp mens-style blazer for a plus size "woman"   |   Seeking a math-related article about strange... Newer »