Congrats Mom, it's "your" birthday!

Are there cultures where gifts/cards/flowers are given to mom on their children's birthday?

I swear I read once (maybe even on MeFi?!) about a place where mothers get cards/gifts on their children's birthdays. My googling has been totally unsuccessful. Is this a tradition? Where does it take place? What does it look like?
posted by missmary6 to Society & Culture (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

In the Netherlands, it's common to congratulate the loved ones of the birthday-haver (definitely including parents).
posted by seemoorglass at 7:58 AM on September 12, 2019 [2 favorites]

I do this. So, basically my mom and I are sending each other flowers on the same day. Once I became a mother, I realized what my birthday really meant to her, and wanted to recognize that. I also was inspired by this someplace; I don't think I made it up on my own but don't know where I came across it.
posted by peanut_mcgillicuty at 10:19 AM on September 12, 2019 [2 favorites]

I also swear I read once, and I'm sure it was on MeFi, about this.

As I remember it, the commenter mentioned sending flowers to their mom on their (commenter's) birthday, as a Filipinx (?) tradition, but now I can't seem to find the post/comment and it's driving me bonkers.
posted by Signed Sealed Delivered at 12:21 PM on September 12, 2019

Same as peanut_mcgillicuty - when I had my son, a doula mentioned that her daughter sends her (the mother) flowers on the daughter’s birthday. They are European - maybe German or Danish? - but I don’t know if it’s a cultural thing there or just a sweet family tradition. I do it now too because I think my mom and MIL deserve some flowers on the days they birthed us!
posted by bananacabana at 1:39 PM on September 12, 2019

My mother (Korean) tried her level best to do this every year on my birthday. She was adamant that my birthday was a day for her to celebrate "becoming a mother". That being said, I never saw any of our other Korean friends parents have this same opinion.. so I always chalked it up to my mother making it up...
posted by niteHawk at 5:30 AM on September 13, 2019

« Older Quiet Carribean with kids   |   Should I go back to this hairstylist? Newer »