Looking for news/business podcasts that are not casual

I like listening to news podcasts, particularly longer-form podcasts like NYT’s The Daily. However, I HATE the informality of the podcast idiom. I hate the “ums,” I hate the host as proxy for the listener, and (worst offense in my book) cheeky delivery. Can you recommend news (preferably daily) podcasts that are not podcast-y?

I hate, I detest, I revile, the podcast trope of “let’s listen in on this fascinating conversation between two smart people.” The Daily has this in spades, but I haven’t found anything better.

I haven’t tried WSJ’s the Journal podcast—but will. I generally like the WSJ podcasts, but they often feel like promo bits for their guest experts, and the shows are too short. Kim Gittleson is the epitome of the informal delivery I can’t stand, and I’ve unsubscribed from the WSJ’s general news podcast completely.

I just want straight up, long form news. No chit chat, and no behind the scenes inside baseball on making the news (i.e., leaving the tape recorder running as the interviewer goes back to their car, a Daily favorite). Preferably US-national and global, business, politics, no human interest, no entertainment.

Do such podcasts exist?
posted by Admiral Haddock to Media & Arts (12 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

The Economist has a podcast that sounds like it'll work for you, albeit with their international capital perspective.
posted by Homeboy Trouble at 6:36 AM on September 10

If you have an Audible subscription or (I think) Amazon Prime, you can listen to audio digests of the New York Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Journal. This is literally just newspaper articles being read to you.
posted by bluebird at 6:44 AM on September 10 [1 favorite]

NPR's "Up First" is a solid morning digest that sounds close to what you're looking for, but it's maybe a 7-10 minute review and doesn't go into much depth. But it's a start.
posted by JoeZydeco at 6:56 AM on September 10

I sometimes listen to Monocle's "The Briefing," which is pretty much an hour of dry news/analysis (though from a UK perspective).
posted by Mid at 6:59 AM on September 10 [1 favorite]

NPR has its own app, with access to (I think) all of its shows. Many of those shows are also available through a podcast feed, although not, for some reason, their the flagship All Things Considered and Morning Edition. There is a third-party feed for those shows.
posted by Mr.Know-it-some at 7:11 AM on September 10

Try the BBC Newshour or BBC Global News Podcast. More of a global focus than a US centric focus.
posted by jeoc at 7:15 AM on September 10 [2 favorites]

The Washington Post has Post Reports, its own version of the NYT's The Daily. I think it's better. WP also does a shorter one called The Big Idea.
posted by emelenjr at 7:34 AM on September 10

Yes, what I think you want is the BBC’s straight news shows like jeoc says. You could also stream (not available for download) NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered, and skip the human interest or arts segments. Usually very formal delivery, more than their podcasts.

PBS News Hour also does an audio podcast version of their evening news show which is again very straight news.
posted by rustcellar at 7:45 AM on September 10

Deutsche Welle English has a variety of podcasts you might examine; but note that page lists both video and audio. The audio-only ones are marked with little headphones icons in my browser.
posted by XMLicious at 7:52 AM on September 10

If you like business topics, I really like NPR's "How I Built This".
posted by Dansaman at 7:57 AM on September 10

rustcellar: "Yes, what I think you want is the BBC’s straight news shows like jeoc says."

Or their Irish equivalent, i.e. RTÉ's Morning Ireland.
posted by crazy with stars at 8:34 AM on September 10

Sounds like you're not looking for podcasts, but radio.
posted by amoeba at 11:15 AM on September 10 [5 favorites]

« Older cat you have to let me sleep   |   Slight personality changes in the past 3 years Newer »