What is this mid-80s Toyota hatchback? I love it.

Recently I saw a red Toyota hatchback of presumably 1980s vintage. I loved it and wanted to know what it was, but it didn't have a model name badge, and cursory web research hasn't helped me ID it. Here's a photo of the front, and this is the back. That's all!
posted by Sokka shot first to Grab Bag (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Looks like a 1980 Corolla.
posted by outfielder at 9:09 AM on September 9, 2019 [1 favorite]

I was thinking it's a Celica but it could be a Corolla.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1980/toyota/corolla/100954551
posted by eatcake at 9:09 AM on September 9, 2019 [1 favorite]

Actually it looks like it matches the 1982 corolla tail lights; the backup light was closer to the license plate in 1981 and earlier.
posted by AzraelBrown at 9:13 AM on September 9, 2019

AE86 Corolla (wiki)
posted by mattamatic at 9:45 AM on September 9, 2019

It doesn't have covered flip-up headlights, so I don't think it's the AE86.

But the Corolla answers put me on the right trackā€”I'm almost positive that's what it is, specifically an early 80s Toyota Corolla SR-5 Fastback.

Thank you!
posted by Sokka shot first at 9:52 AM on September 9, 2019

Note that AE86 Corollas are stupidly expensive, due to that model starring in the 90s manga/anime Initial D. The resulting price bump is known as the "tofu tax" for reasons explained by the plot.

Hopefully the model you've fallen for is sufficiently different to avoid that effect, but it's definitely something to be aware of if you're shopping for 80s Corollas - and I'd guess this model shares a lot of parts.
posted by automatronic at 11:32 AM on September 9, 2019 [1 favorite]

« Older What's the best group process for updating a...   |   Kindred Reccos Newer »