Tropical Sun, Pale Skin, Reef Concerns, and a baby!

While I am not the palest person I know, I am definitely in the top 5% of least-sun-loving skin for Hawaii residents. I need a sunscreen recommendation.

I have an anti-sun regimen for my face, but I'm in need of a sunscreen, primarily for my arms, as wearing long-sleeves is not feasible, and I'm out in the sun off and on throughout the day, moving between buildings. Also, I have a 3-month old.

I'm in search of a sunscreen that
A) Will work for intermittent tropical sun exposure throughout the day
B) I can feel reasonably good about wearing while holding/interacting with my kid
C) I can feel reasonably good about being minimally damaging to the ecosystems in my neighborhood. I'm on a cesspool,* so whatever goes down my drain doesn't get very processed before it finds its way into the wild, and while I'm not right on a waterway, I can see the ocean from my house. Also, I don't want to have to go through this again in a year when our reef-safe sunscreen law is going into effect, so staying away from the oxy-s is good.

Anyone got any recommendations?

* Yes, really. Yes, just a hole in the ground.
posted by DebetEsse to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

As another pale skinned Hawai'i resident (who also happens to be a water engineer who thinks about contamination from cesspools a lot), my preferred brand is Reef Safe. High SPF, eco-friendly and it actually spreads nice - it's even a bit on the watery side, which I prefer much more than the sticky zinc oxide-only formulas. Not the cheapest but highly recommended!
posted by Paper rabies at 12:58 AM on September 5 [8 favorites]

I'm in the Northeast US, so I can't say how it stacks up to daily tropical sun exposure, but the best body sunblocks I have used are Alba Botanicals. They are marked reef safe and SPF 45-50. (Unfortunately, they have been increasingly difficult to find in my local stores - I used to be able to find lotions in a variety of scent options, but lately just an unscented spray version. Things I love about all of the Alba products: they are not animal tested, they go on smoothly and look sheer, and they smell lovely.)
posted by prewar lemonade at 5:58 AM on September 5 [2 favorites]

When my daughter was too young for sunscreen we always took a good beach umbrella to the beach. We would stick it right in the sand down by the waters edge so she would be able to splash around and still be shaded.
posted by gryphonlover at 7:24 AM on September 5

I don't think the OP is going to put it on the baby - just something that wouldn't be bad to hold a baby while wearing it.
posted by Pax at 8:37 AM on September 5 [1 favorite]

I would add Blue Lizard into the mix. It's reef-safe and the adult formula is quite water-tight. I spend a lot of time in and around (fresh) water and am very averse to tanning and burning. Blue Lizard is the only thing I use.
posted by workerant at 5:37 PM on September 5 [1 favorite]

« Older I hate everything and everything hates me.   |   Social Media and Dreaming Newer »