Stem Cell Donation for the not quite diagnosed

I am curious about donating stem cells when I have not been diagnosed with any autoimmune disorders.

I was looking at the stem cell donation website and it says that you cannot donate stem cells if you have an autoimmune disorder.

I have never been diagnosed officially celiac, but currently have been eating (very strictly) gf for almost 4 years now. I was never diagnosed because I was counseled by my primary care doc to stop eating gluten to alleviate symptoms and did so, but then was told by a gastro doc that I could only be officially diagnosed unless I ate gluten for 6 weeks prior to the test. Since I did not have 6 weeks to do nothing but sit in a bathroom I politely declined. Since American healthcare was going through that pre-existing disorders drama at the time it seemed like diagnosis would be dumb anyway.

Likewise, I have been "on the line" so to speak for prediabetes for years, but never formally diagnosed. I've been told, just don't eat a lot of sugar......which I don't...mostly.

Anyways, I'd be more than happy to donate stem cells, I don't currently have problems with my health if I avoid all the gluten-y, lactose-y, sugary treats, but I wouldn't want to donate inferior cells that could hurt someone either way.
posted by aetg to Health & Fitness (3 answers total)

The stem cell donation process will include an evaluation of your health. Please do not select yourself out if you are willing to go through the process. Answer the questions you are asked honestly.
posted by bilabial at 1:55 PM on August 12 [2 favorites]

Thanks for considering donating stem cells! I have been on both ends of this... I donated to a stranger via the registry, and I also have a close family member who received a donation via the registry. Stem cell donation is a relatively minor inconvenience for the donor that can mean a medical miracle for the recipient.

I just want to endorse bilabial's statement that if you are a match for someone (not super likely... about 1 in 400 people ever get called. I was on the registry almost 10 years before I donated) they will take a very thorough health history, do tons of blood work, etc. The donor program has strict criteria for what can disqualify you, so you shouldn't try to guess.
posted by juliapangolin at 4:40 AM on August 13 [2 favorites]

Thank you everyone for clarifying a bit of the process. I'll keep going for now and be honest if I get called.
posted by aetg at 2:18 PM on August 13

« Older Recommendations for a portable ergonomic keyboard   |   Which Congress people are in this photo? Newer »