How to keep medications secure? With special requirements

I’m looking for a safe or lockbox or other method to keep medications and edibles secure from an adult struggling with addiction.

Our household has a frequent visitor who uses medications and edibles which are attractive to the addict. The visitor has severe visual impairments and minor cognitive impairments, so a box with a combination lock won’t work (because they can’t see small numbers) and one with a key won’t work either (because they will lose the key or leave it somewhere the addict can easily find it.) The ideal thing would be a small, portable box with a giant keypad, but I haven’t found one that isn’t easily opened by blunt force. I really don’t want to spend hundreds on a safe but I guess I will if that’s my only option. I’m also open to any other ideas on how to do this, keeping in mind the visual impairment issue.
posted by tatiana wishbone to Grab Bag (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

How about a digital doorlock? You can put it on the door of a closet or guest room. The combination is easily learned and entered by touch rather than visually.
posted by beagle at 5:14 AM on August 9

Maybe this safe? (And you keep the key.)
posted by Crystalinne at 5:15 AM on August 9

Other method - can the person with visual and cognitive impairment keep the meds on their person, perhaps in a cross body bag, when they visit? Of course if they're visiting and spending the night this won't work, and and cognitive or interpersonal issues might complicate things.
posted by Mistress at 5:38 AM on August 9

How about a hollow book. Hidden in plain sight?
posted by defreckled at 5:57 AM on August 9

Try looking for a small gun safe. It looks like some have an option for opening with an rfid bracelet which would be easy to keep on the owners body. https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-98172-Handgun-Security-X-Large/dp/B01N11X17R?ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_3031030011
posted by Northbysomewhatcrazy at 6:03 AM on August 9 [3 favorites]

I think you want a biometric safe, as an addict will learn to look for the combo when it is being punched in. They are under $100 online. I was also going to recommend a gun safe. And the addict should pay, as it is their responsibility.
posted by saucysault at 6:51 AM on August 9 [4 favorites]

I would just get a meal toolbox or ammo can and a padlock with a tactile keypad. There are also padlocks now designed to open via cellphone app.
posted by drlith at 6:57 AM on August 9

Quick-access pistol safe.
posted by slkinsey at 7:28 AM on August 9

Yep, we have all the knives and expensive medications in a gun safe in the kitchen (for impulsive kid reasons of our own.) I assume people recognize it and probably think we keep guns in the kitchen? Socially weird but very practical. Ours has a keypad but there are definitely both biometric and probably big-number keypad ones.
posted by chesty_a_arthur at 7:42 AM on August 9 [1 favorite]

« Older How do you know whether you're having a nervous...   |   Ebike commuting for novice rider Newer »