Halloween costumes when it is hot
August 1, 2019 3:33 PM   Subscribe

The kidlet loves dressing up for Halloween, but every year I have to carry a beach bag to catch all of his costume components as he sheds them because it is "too hot". We live in a hot area of the world. What can he dress up as that will meet his desires of dinosaur/world domination/rawr/etc. but also not be "too hot"? Please note: he doesn't tolerate makeup well and would prefer not to wear wigs, but will if the costume is cool (ha) enough.

Kinds of costumes that are appealing to him: inflatable t-rex (too hot), Napoleon (way too hot), Pinky and the Brain (too hot), Bear (too hot), skunk (too hot), any other dinosaur (too hot), superheros (seems like supers would have a way of not making their costuming TOO HOT but no such luck). Nothing sexy. Nothing too scary. Nothing that isn't either androgynous or male-presenting.

Extra points for something a 12 year old tall-ish geeky boy would like that allow him to wear shorts. Double extra points for a costume that I can wear to coordinate with him (old, female but also geeky and vaguely kid-shaped) I'm willing to make things. Visual references are helpful.
posted by arnicae to Grab Bag (13 answers total)

cave man? Easily made, easily expanded to cave family.
posted by fingersandtoes at 3:36 PM on August 1 [2 favorites]

Dinosaur wrangler a la Chris Pratt in Jurassic World? Could have a velociraptor image on his halloween bag/container.
posted by acidnova at 3:37 PM on August 1 [1 favorite]

It’s too cold here to wear the toga and sandals to be some kind of Greek or Roman god but we would love to!
posted by sestaaak at 4:15 PM on August 1 [1 favorite]

Lifeguard? Red shorts and tank, sunglasses, life preserver.

I can imagine a bunch of funny “normal person being attacked from behind by an X (which is some kind of object attached to a backpack)” costumes. Giant spider, tiny dinosaur, alien, that sort of thing.
posted by tchemgrrl at 4:24 PM on August 1 [2 favorites]

Finn from Adventure Time. I've never seen the show but I know the kid wears shorts, and bonus there's a backpack and he can carry his own sheddings.

You can be the dog! The dog is cute.
posted by phunniemee at 4:37 PM on August 1 [5 favorites]

What about a swimmer who was attacked by a shark? A la Katya on RPDR. You will need a swimsuit, goggles, and a stuffed shark he can wear on his leg (his foot goes into its mouth/body. You can be a lifeguard or something.
posted by andreapandrea at 4:45 PM on August 1 [3 favorites]

Lifeguard? Red shorts and tank, sunglasses, life preserver.

Add a mullet wig and you've got Billy from Stranger Things.
posted by cazoo at 4:45 PM on August 1 [3 favorites]

Calvin, and you or a less heat-sensitive friend of his can be Hobbes.
posted by Flannery Culp at 4:59 PM on August 1

Fred Flintstone?
posted by General Malaise at 5:44 PM on August 1

I’d do Dino with mask, gloves and boots. Wear light t-shirt and shorts in appropriate colors and it works great imo. Same works for most any animal, not sure about Napoleon...
posted by SaltySalticid at 6:21 PM on August 1

A lightweight open hat like this one might not be too hot (wear with a matching orange tee shirt and shorts plus pin on a tail)
posted by Mchelly at 9:11 PM on August 1

These might not be rawr enough but, Charlie Brown and Linus or Lucy, Peter Pan and Wendy or Tinkerbell.
posted by Waiting for Pierce Inverarity at 3:45 AM on August 2

« Older looking for a hook/clip-on small bedside waste...   |   Parking in Portland, ME in the summer Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments