Second Moby Dick question this year

Is it possible to buy this book?

Yeah, that's all I'm looking for. It is possible for me to get my hands on a copy of the Macedonian translation of Moby Dick? I am not associated with a college or university currently, but am wondering if I could get a copy through them?
posted by Ideal Impulse to Writing & Language (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Do you mean just to borrow?

Searched on WorldCat, found 1 copy at Northwestern University. Here's their interlibrary loan (ILL) request page. Perhaps you could use your local public library to make the ILL request? You could also try emailing the contact email on the ILL page to ask about borrowing as an individual (without going through a library).
posted by rather be jorting at 4:12 PM on July 29

Whoops, just saw you're looking to buy, not borrow (I got confused by the mention of college/university associations - ILL can help you get access to a copy for borrowing, though).

Maybe ask the Northwestern University library if it's possible for you to purchase a copy of the book from wherever they obtained their copy from?
posted by rather be jorting at 4:53 PM on July 29

Two or three years ago there was a book in Icelandic that I really wanted as a gift to myself. I started looking for any bookstores in Reykjavik, the capital city -- didn't even need the English webpage, I could just add the Icelandic word for "bookstore" to my search terms. Most of the booksellers spoke English anyway, and on the third or fourth call I was fortunate to find someone who spoke English and could mail to me.

Depending on how widespread English is in the area, or whether or not you speak any of the local languages, you might just try calling first?
posted by The Pluto Gangsta at 5:25 PM on July 29

Perhaps someone at The Melville Society might be able to help you figure out how to get a copy.
posted by neroli at 6:47 PM on July 29 [1 favorite]

Borrowing is fine, too.

Thanks for the ideas.
posted by Ideal Impulse at 7:10 PM on July 29 [1 favorite]

This post appears to give a link to the text, but I behind a firewall that won't let me access it to make sure. My apologies if I'm wrong.
posted by ubiquity at 8:57 AM on July 30

« Older What can I buy that will improve my life?   |   What to do in Pittsburgh, early riser edition Newer »