Domain/web hosting?

What's a good domain host that also offers web-hosting for under $10 a year and doesn't raise the price to ridiculous levels every year?

Currently I'm just hosting a domain that just points elsewhere, but renewal price has jumped to $16 per year, so now I'm looking to transfer it for say $10 a year or less. Might want to expand it to simple website with sub-domains, what y'all recommend?
posted by Brandon Blatcher to Computers & Internet (11 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

This is my profession. What you are asking for simply does not exist. The cheapest web hosting is GoDaddy at $3-5/mo and that's on a shared server. If you have traffic of any significant amount, you will experience downtime and other problems. I use Namecheap for my domain names and host on A2 Hosting. Many of my clients find success with Flywheel, though they've now been purchased by WP Engine, and are not nearly close to GoDaddy's rates. I've heard good things about ASmallOrange but that was prior to EIG purchasing them. In general, stay away from EIG-owned companies if price is your #1 factor - they raise rates consistently. If you just want a tech sandbox to park a domain and play with web code a bit, start with GoDaddy and move on once you meet a pain point.
posted by Meagan at 7:59 AM on July 12 [3 favorites]

Check out NearlyFreeSpeech.net. They're very transparent about their pricing, they only charge for the services you use, and they charge less for non-production sites (so it's very cheap to have a sandbox domain). They also don't raise rates arbitrarily -- in about 15 years, I've only seen one (very reasonable) price increase, and it was for specific and well-communicated reasons.
posted by ourobouros at 8:11 AM on July 12 [4 favorites]

If you don't have much traffic and don't need much infrastructure, nearlyfreespeech.net might be close to what you need. Their domain renewals are $10.54 right now if you just want to keep the domain. For a simple site: I just tried out their pricing estimator, which came back with parking a basic site (including the cost of the domain renewal for a static site with no php/cgi scripting) as $28.95 for the year or $2.41/month.
posted by past unusual at 8:12 AM on July 12 [1 favorite]

Do you need web hosting or do you just need to keep the domains registered somewhere, and have the dns records set up to point them to another website? The pricing for those two different scenarios is completely different.
posted by Winnie the Proust at 8:59 AM on July 12 [6 favorites]

If it’s a static site, then github pages & namecheap or Google for the registrar is about as cheap as it gets. Obviously you’re dependent on the goodwill of Microsoft to continue hosting Github pages for free in this case.
posted by pharm at 9:00 AM on July 12 [2 favorites]

In theory you could do this using AWS hosting if you're not including the cost of the domain renewals every year. If you're counting domain renewal every year + hosting, I don't think what you're hoping for exists.

You can host a static website on AWS for very little if you don't get much traffic. If all you want is DNS & a redirect, I think you can do that with AWS Route 53. Note that their domain registration pricing is fairly resonable, but still not less than $10 a year for things like .com or .net.

Even the NearlyFreeSpeech.net (cool, don't think I've seen before) for DNS only + domain registration is $11.53 according to their pricing calculator.
posted by jzb at 10:46 AM on July 12 [1 favorite]

Just to keep the domains registered somewhere, pointing elsewhere, with the option for web hosting somewhere down the line.
posted by Brandon Blatcher at 11:20 AM on July 12

I have created several "free" sites, (not including the domain name,) on Blogger. It's supposed to be for blogs, but there are ways to make it feel like a regular website. You have to rearrange your content to fit their format of pages and posts, sort of like Wordpress. Not nearly as many options as Wordpress, but bring your own domain name, and free.
posted by bitslayer at 12:38 PM on July 12 [1 favorite]

In that case, as mentioned in the post you were replying to, you don't need anything. Just point the domain where you want in the domain account settings at your registrar.
posted by humboldt32 at 1:50 PM on July 12 [1 favorite]

I host a small static website on AWS and it accounts for $0.70±$0.05¹ of my monthly AWS bill. The setup can be a little more involved than with some of the other options, but not tremendously so. If you end up going with AWS, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have — I'm recently officially certified even.

¹ This does not include the price of domain registration/renewal.
posted by thedward at 2:06 PM on July 12

It sounds like you have a combined web-hosting and domain registration package currently? If that's the case, you can transfer the domain to a new registrar without bothering with the web-hosting part, which will most likely be your cheapest option. Any decent registrar probably has the option to point it to a domain parking page for free. You can then either continue to use that registrar with whatever web host you may decide to use down the line, or you can transfer the domain to another hosting company if you'd prefer to keep the whole thing packaged together (though, honestly, I feel like there's little cost-saving benefit to doing so, and many downsides in terms of flexibility if you rely on one company for both web hosting and domain registration/DNS hosting). CloudFlare apparently has at-cost domain registration, so their prices are likely to be among the lowest for domain registration by itself, though I haven't used them as a registrar either, so this is less a recommendation than a starting point (I use NameCheap for my domains).

If you already have your domains registered with a different company than your webhost, you can just cancel your web hosting package outright; if a web presence isn't important to you, this will allow you to keep the domains without a website attached to them.
posted by Aleyn at 6:09 PM on July 12 [1 favorite]

« Older Post on asylum seekers treated humanely   |   Apps to help me remember to do weekly/monthly... Newer »