Mutual Assured Bluetooth NonDiscovery

My bluetooth headphones can't discover the AV Receiver...and vice versa.

Due to hearing issues, I need to use Nuraphone headphones to watch TV (LG OLED55B7P), but the phones must be "discovered", and same for my AV receiver (Denon AVR-S640H). That is, neither has the ability to discover outward.

My TV can discover the headphones, but I hear no audio, apparently because TV Audio Switching is on and HDMI pass-through is "off" (and need to be, or else worse problems arise).

Did I buy the wrong AV receiver? Do I need to replace it with one that can actively discover Bluetooth devices?
posted by Quisp Lover to Technology (2 answers total)

Is it possible to discover and pair both of them with a tablet or phone? Not suggesting that as a permanent solution, I'm just curious as to what happens. My tablet appears to only connect with one receiver at a time, but I don't have Bluetooth headphones to see if they exclude a receiver. (I would think they wouldn't, but, y'know.)
posted by XMLicious at 1:42 AM on June 22, 2019 [1 favorite]

AFAIK, the "bluetooth" function in A/V receivers is to allow you to stream to the receiver (i.e. send the signal from your iPod/phone what have you) to the receiver to be amplified and played through the hard wired speakers. I don't think it's designed to work as a bluetooth transmitter for use with wireless headphones. My guess is that you'll need to purchase a little bluetooth transmitter and connect it to the headphone output of the receiver.
posted by Larry David Syndrome at 5:11 AM on June 22, 2019 [1 favorite]

« Older Best oncologist in Toronto - or elsewhere - for...   |   Reading about Canada's notwithstanding clause Newer »