Where to buy (womens) leather jacket in SF bay area

I just want a classic, black, leather jacket that will be with me for the next decade+. Right now, I have plans to try some on at All Saints. What other stores should I pop into?

Bonus points if you've had success buying a leather jacket and you have athletic / climbing shoulders.
posted by blueberrypuffin to Shopping (8 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Johnson Leathers will tailor a leather jacket to order. They specialize in motorcycle jackets but I've seen several very nice jackets they've made for everyday wear.
posted by zombiedance at 4:33 PM on June 19, 2019

The classic Ramones motorcycle jacket is a Schott, which is available pretty widely. It'll last the rest of your life and likely the life of whoever you leave it to.
posted by rhizome at 5:04 PM on June 19, 2019

I should add that I've known several women who wore them.
posted by rhizome at 5:07 PM on June 19, 2019

I was coming in to recommend Schott as well.
posted by saladin at 5:23 PM on June 19, 2019

If you are interested in vintage maybe try Wasteland on Haight.
posted by Lawn Beaver at 8:37 PM on June 19, 2019

I apologize that I don't have a suggestion, but I can offer a caution- Allsaints leather jackets are extremely adorable but the leather is thin/subpar quality and doesn't seem to hold up over time. I've purchased secondhand and they've looked fairly worn after only a few years, and that sentiment has been echoed by other people I've heard from/read online about. General advice is buy for the style but be careful of tears and only buy at reduced prices.

Thread about leather longevity
Thread about thin leather tearing
^(mens' fashion forum, but still valuable insight)
posted by rachaelfaith at 5:39 AM on June 20, 2019 [1 favorite]

Seconding Johnson's on Polk near Jackson.

I have a 20+ year old jacket from them that I get comments on all the time. My wife has one of similar vintage that was made-to-measure (and is not motorcycle-weight). Both still look great, and will probably last another decade.
posted by toxic at 10:47 AM on June 20, 2019

One thing I'm realizing I should add is that, if you've never owned a jacket made of thick leather before, you should know going in that those things can be WARM. I had a Schott cafe-racer style jacket that I used as my main NYC winter jacket for nearly a decade. The leather was so thick that it absolutely locked in heat, and was unwearably hot in any temperature over like 55 degrees. Definitely something to consider!
posted by saladin at 9:14 AM on July 4, 2019 [1 favorite]

« Older DSLR—mirrorless or not?   |   Baddest boast of all time involving acorns Newer »