The Best Hummus Recipe

It's that time of year when no cook recipes rule.

While I love hummus, I'm over store bought brands. I end up spending so much time "doctoring" them I might as well make a big batch myself. The thing is I can't find a recipe I like. I'm definitely a fan of garlic and some heat. So please recommend the best homemade humus recipes!
posted by miss-lapin to Food & Drink (14 answers total) 42 users marked this as a favorite

I just got done with a batch of this, the very best hummus. Accept no substitutes*. It's from Ottolenghi's _Jerusalem_.

*please note the baking soda step is not optional; it substitutes for and eliminates the ludicrously tedious peeling process some others would have you do.

NB this recipe has no heat as this is a traditional recipe and heat is not traditional. You could add whatever heat you like.
posted by fingersandtoes at 2:14 PM on June 16, 2019 [5 favorites]

I make hummus enough that I don't use a recipe anymore, but this one pretty much sums up all the tricks to make it real real good.

My number one recommendation for you is to remove the skins of the garbanzo beans. It makes an enormous difference when it comes to texture and mouthfeel. Number two is to add the ingredients in the order they specify. And number three is to use the soaking liquid (aquafaba) from the canned chickpeas instead of the water in the recipe.
posted by esmerelda_jenkins at 2:16 PM on June 16, 2019 [5 favorites]

This is really just a hummus strategy rather than a recipe (I support the Ottolenghi recipe that sidesteps the peeling process but gets you the results of peeled): make it at a baseline flavor, and then dress it at serving for more variety: chili powder of your choice, chili oil, fresh chopped peppers or pickled peppers, harissa, lemon, crumbles of feta/blue/goat/cotija, toum or roasted garlic, classic pink pickled turnip, nuts or seeds or Everything seasoning, Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute, drizzle of balsamic, whatever you're feeling in the moment.

This message brought to you by the time I made a giant batch of puckeringly lemony garlicky hummus and it nailed my craving...so that I was left with the remainder of a huge batch of hummus that overpowered any other flavor I tried to put on it to make it taste different. I was sweating lemon garlic for a week.
posted by Lyn Never at 2:26 PM on June 16, 2019 [2 favorites]

Heh sweating lemon garlic sounds like my thing, but yeah that's a great tip. I usually make my own chili oil and add before serving.
posted by miss-lapin at 2:36 PM on June 16, 2019

I’ve heard that you can use chana dal instead of standard whole dried chickpeas to make hummus - since chana dal is already peeled and split, you don’t have to do anything to remove the skin. I haven’t tried it myself though.
posted by insectosaurus at 3:04 PM on June 16, 2019 [1 favorite]

This recipe from Serious Eats is the gold standard IMO. Definitely produces the best Israeli-style hummus I've ever made. Includes the killer technique of blending tons of garlic together with lemon juice and then straining out the solids, which delivers lots of garlic flavor without any harshness.
posted by slkinsey at 3:18 PM on June 16, 2019 [2 favorites]

Oh yes, speaking of alternate beans: black eyed pea hummus is good, if you like BEPs. The texture is creamy and the flavor is distinctly not chickpea. The recipe I linked is good baseline for a single can of beans, but even I am squinting at the whole head of garlic for a single small can of beans.

The Southern Living version (sorry, autoplay music/video) doesn't have enough garlic, but does have tahini in it, which I like a little better.
posted by Lyn Never at 4:12 PM on June 16, 2019

I'm in camp remove the skins.

Also use ice cold water and add it slowly. The consistency is incredibly smooth if you do that.
posted by Ironmouth at 4:22 PM on June 16, 2019

I make hummus in the food processor:

2 cans garbanzos, drained
1 or 2 cups tahini
juice of 2 or 3 lemons
cumin & cayenne to taste (1 tsp each?)
salt (1 tb?)
3-4 cloves garlic pressed into some (1/4 cup?) hot olive oil, sauted just enough to get the raw off (don't brown it )
cold water

buzz it all up, adding the cold water to thin to the desired texture

I don't use home-cooked beans because of the skins, and sometimes I toss in some chopped cilantro or parsley at the end to give it some color.

Serve with olive oil pooled on top and sprinkled with hot/smokey paprika.
posted by niicholas at 4:45 PM on June 16, 2019 [1 favorite]

This is Smitten Kitchen’s adaption of Ottolenghi’s recipe and it is very, very good. Lots of pictures and why-this-not-that included, and she seconds the suggestion of chana dal.
posted by charmedimsure at 6:17 PM on June 16, 2019

I use something pretty close to the Serious Eats recipe slkinsey linked to. The main difference is I cook the chick peas from dry in the pressure cooker. After about 75-90 minutes they're totally falling apart and ready for the blender. No peeling required.
posted by the duck by the oboe at 6:51 PM on June 16, 2019

I previously posted my colleague Gus Van Beek's hummus recipe (his wife was Israeli). Their trick to making hummus was to mix in some whole milk Greek yogurt to taste to the hummus at the end, to add some extra creaminess.
posted by gudrun at 7:08 PM on June 16, 2019 [1 favorite]

Here to say that you can indeed use chana dal to get peeled dried chickpeas without doing it yourself, and it works a treat.
posted by oblique red at 9:38 AM on June 19, 2019 [1 favorite]

Just an update. So I'm just going to work my way through various suggestions and see which one I like the best as hey why not? I'm working in the order they are listed here so starting with Ottolenghi's recipe. Once I work through the list (which will take a while) I will post an update on my findings.
posted by miss-lapin at 6:54 PM on June 23, 2019 [5 favorites]

« Older US Parks off grid driving app released, but I CANT...   |   Basement drywall repair / vapor barrier question Newer »