Easy slideshow from iPhone album?

I have an iPhone XR album that I'd like to show as a slideshow at a party. What's the easiest way to do this?

It's 170 photos and I don't want to individually decide where every single photo goes, so a piece of software that lets me dump in the album, and it spits out a slideshow, would be ideal. I'd like multiple photos per "slide".

The photos could also play in roughly chronological order, and that'd be fine.

I'd like the images accompanied by a 4-minute song I've purchased on iTunes.

Automatic slideshows often have a few weird crops and juxtapositions, so it would be great if I were able to make some editorial changes.

To play it on the day, I think I'd need to export the whole thing to a .MOV file, so it could play off a friend's Windows laptop, hooked up to a projector.

Suggestions / advice? Thanks!
posted by nouvelle-personne to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

iMovie on your iPhone will do most of this and is extremely easy to use. It won’t do multiple photos per slide but everything else should be covered.
posted by parm at 2:23 AM on June 8

The Photos app has a built-in slideshow function which lets you pick music and other details then export it as a movie (or just plug the phone into the projector, presumably, if you’ve got the right dongle). There’s an article about it here.
posted by Bloxworth Snout at 2:25 AM on June 8

The built in slideshow thing doesn’t seem to offer multiple photos per slide, though.

Interestingly, if you just select a whole load of photos and use the share button, one of the options is ‘slideshow’ which offers a slightly different set of options, including a ‘magazine’ theme which does have multiple pics per slide, but doesn’t allow you export it as a movie. So only useful if you have some way of connecting the phone to the projector.
posted by Bloxworth Snout at 2:34 AM on June 8

on the projector side i recommend an iphone hdmi dongle and a long enough cable. this will work everywhere with minimal fuss.

anything that can display on the iphone can display on your projector, including playing an album.
posted by zippy at 12:40 PM on June 8

The share button slideshow works pretty well, thanks!

The best answer for me ended up being to put all the phone photos into a single album, export that to iPhoto on my Mac, and make a slideshow there.

iPhoto slideshows are annoying because they're designed to automate what slide goes where, in a counter-intuitive way, so you have to kind of game the system and use a lot of trial-and-error in order to have any editorial control. But it was fairly easy and impossible to be a perfectionist about it, which was good. On the day, I played the slideshow from a USB key in a laptop. Worked great.

posted by nouvelle-personne at 6:12 AM on June 22

« Older Why is the guitar like it is and not otherwise?   |   Dystopian book with Brahms and Schumann Newer »