Where do I start in getting a patent?

I'm in New York City and have developed a process for a visual product that I want to know if it can be patented. I've never done this before and have no idea where to start. What to do?

Recommendations for patent lawyers in New York? What kind of questions can I expect? What do I need to know before beginning the process? For the entire process, what is a ballpark range that getting a patent would cost, lawyer and all? Thanks.
posted by Sreiny to Law & Government (3 answers total)

This resource from the US Trademark and Patent Office might be helpful.

Note that there are patent attorneys (lawyers who specialize in patents) and patent agents (non-lawyers who have specialized training and certification and who are licensed to file patents.)
posted by internet fraud detective squad, station number 9 at 10:47 AM on June 4

MeMail'd you.
posted by Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell at 10:59 AM on June 4 [1 favorite]

Good starting point is the Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL) which has patent resources. One book they recommend is Patent It Yourself by Kenneth Johnson.
posted by Sophont at 2:30 PM on June 4 [1 favorite]

« Older Taking a bullet (journal)   |   How to get the best from NYC Pride? Newer »