chocolate ice cream

what's the best chocolate ice cream.

what is it
posted by Greg Nog to Food & Drink (57 answers total) 68 users marked this as a favorite

The kind you make from scratch.
posted by Weeping_angel at 8:05 PM on June 1 [11 favorites]

Brigham’s, found in the Boston area.
posted by Melismata at 8:08 PM on June 1 [1 favorite]

I'm dying. This is the best metafilter post/response ever.

Weeping_angel is correct. May I recommend this recipe?
posted by arrmatie at 8:08 PM on June 1 [6 favorites]

I really like chocolate sorbetto, but your mileage may vary. I used to dislike chocolate ice cream as a kid because it dodn't taste like *chocolate*. It tasted more like, I dunno, especially milky cocoa.

Chocolate sorbetto from a good gelato place is what small me wanted chocolate ice cream to be. It's *very* rich, smooth, and fatty--the fat comes from cocoa butter, not dairy, and it's more concentrated chocolate in frozen form.
posted by pykrete jungle at 8:08 PM on June 1 [5 favorites]

The recipe in Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream At Home for the Darkest Chocolate ice cream. Here’s a copy of the recipe I found online.

This is the only ice cream my husband eats. We have had no other chocolate ice cream in the house for years now. It is off the charts.
posted by hilaryjade at 8:21 PM on June 1 [9 favorites]

The best chocolate ice cream is Barefoot Contessa's Deeply Chocolate Gelato. I thought for a long time that this was a variation on a David Lebovitz recipe but now that I'm searching around that doesn't seem to be the case. So you should also make David Lebovitz's Chocolate Sorbet for comparison's sake.

I like King Arthur Double Dutch Dark Cocoa in cold applications.
posted by bcwinters at 8:23 PM on June 1 [5 favorites]

If you just want to go buy some, try a gelato place. I find the chocolate flavor is more chocolatey in gelato than in ice cream. (But whenever I've tried gelato from the grocery store it's been disappointing.)

Your best bet is to make some at home. It will be much, much better than chocolate ice cream from the grocery store or from an ice cream shop. The recipe arrmatie suggests is a very good one. You can use anywhere from 4-6 egg yolks, even though it calls for 6. I think 5 might be the best number.

And the one hilaryjade suggests is also very good, as is Jeni's Milkiest Chocolate Ice Cream.
posted by Redstart at 8:28 PM on June 1 [2 favorites]

You can get Jeni's ice cream delivered to your doorstep, jsyk.
posted by btfreek at 8:37 PM on June 1

I like David Liebovitz’s Chocolate ice cream recipe (5 yolks per quart) but these are my tips for winning the chocolate ice cream game:

1. Use good chocolate. I use Callebaut and have yet to go wrong. The Leibovitz recipe also calls for cocoa powder, and I have a can of Valrhona that I picked up somewhere. Penzey’s makes a really good cocoa powder, so does Sharffen Berger.

2. If you find that your chocolate ice cream custard is a bit on the bitter/acidic side (like if you don’t have Dutch process cocoa powder), start adding drops of vanilla (like 1/8 teaspoon or less) and that’ll polish the flavor without compromising the chocolatey goodness.
posted by Autumnheart at 8:40 PM on June 1 [1 favorite]

I’m gonna be contrarian and recommend the Publix Premium Chocolate Trinity because a) it’s pretty cheap b) it has fudge and chocolate chunks in it and c) if you’re near a Publix, the weather’s probably pretty good, and that makes ice cream better.
posted by Mchelly at 8:46 PM on June 1 [4 favorites]

There are going to be a lot of terrific answers, but none will hold a candle to Carvel soft chocolate ice cream.

On the other hand, there is always the Carvel CookiePuss beer and the Fudgie the Whale Beer. Ice cream flavored beer. 'Nuff said.
posted by AugustWest at 8:52 PM on June 1 [2 favorites]

McConnell's swiss Chocolate
posted by brujita at 9:00 PM on June 1 [1 favorite]

Zanzibar Chocolate at the Fountain on Locust back here in St. Louis.
posted by notsnot at 9:03 PM on June 1 [4 favorites]

Oberweis dark chocolate sea salt caramel. Pure decadence.
posted by bookmammal at 9:03 PM on June 1

I have to represent north of the 49th and say I prefer Chapman's Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream. I prefer it over Breyers or other brands.
posted by googlebombed at 9:13 PM on June 1 [3 favorites]

The best most chocolatey pint of ice cream I've ever bought from the grocery store is Graeter's Double Chocolate Chip.

The best most chocolatey scoop of ice cream I have relatively easy and consistent access to is JP Licks' Brownie Brownie Batter.

The best most chocolatey scoop of ice cream I have seasonal access to is JP Licks' El Diablo (a spicy chocolate ice cream with cinnamon and cayenne).
posted by Pandora Kouti at 9:29 PM on June 1 [1 favorite]

If you want to go about making it from scratch, this recipe from Orangette is the fudgy, rich platonic ideal of chocolate ice cream. A chocolate ice cream lovers dream, I kid you not.
Commercially available option, I remember McConnell’s does a good job with their Dutchman’s Chocolate pint.
posted by Champagne Supernova at 9:53 PM on June 1 [1 favorite]

In the regular ol’ “buy at the grocery store” category, Tillamook is hands down my favorite.
posted by lovableiago at 10:12 PM on June 1 [3 favorites]

this has vermouth in it and is subsequently the best possible
posted by zinful at 10:32 PM on June 1 [1 favorite]

Humphry Slcocombe Dark Chocolate Smoked Sea Salt, as far as I’ve tasted. I salt all my ice cream though. YMMV if you don’t like salty ice cream.
posted by phoenixy at 10:58 PM on June 1 [1 favorite]

Honestly Haagen Dasz
posted by athirstforsalt at 11:02 PM on June 1 [6 favorites]

If you're looking to go buy some, either the Talenti (yes, it's gelato, but not in any way that matters) or Straus, if you can get it where you are.
posted by rhiannonstone at 11:08 PM on June 1 [3 favorites]

I dunno if it's the best one, but my favorite is Tillamook Mud Slide.
posted by Caduceus at 11:20 PM on June 1

Alnatura Schoko

It’s so damn good. Not crazy sweet, rich and cocoa buttery in a way that’s surprising in a store-bought brand. We can get the Haagen-Daz and B&J’s which are also terrific, but this is really something else, like someone in the production was like, “Clear-out you clods and lemme show you how it’s really done.” And made this.

Draw-back: I don’t think it’s available outside of Europe.
posted by From Bklyn at 11:54 PM on June 1

Agree that Chapman's Original Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream is shockingly good for cheap grocery store ice cream that comes out of a folded paper box.
posted by nouvelle-personne at 2:25 AM on June 2 [1 favorite]

Herrell’s chocolate pudding.
posted by sciencegeek at 3:13 AM on June 2 [2 favorites]

I make ice cream and I'm pretty good at it, but if I don't feel like making anything I buy Trader Joe's chocolate ice cream. I've had many, and theirs is surprisingly better than any store-bought variety I've tried.
posted by duffell at 3:38 AM on June 2 [3 favorites]

Stewart's!
posted by metasarah at 4:05 AM on June 2 [1 favorite]

Kroger's Private Collection Chocolate Ganache is very, very good for store bought ice cream.
posted by Grumpy old geek at 4:06 AM on June 2 [2 favorites]

Haagen Dazs Chocolate Chocolate Chip is a solid pint for crying while watching romance movies.
posted by nikaspark at 4:33 AM on June 2 [2 favorites]

Best I've ever had from the freezer in an Australian supermarket: Sara Lee Ultra Chocolate. Very creamy, very chocolatey, not over sweet. If I made ice cream at home and it came out like this I'd be pleased with it.
posted by flabdablet at 4:38 AM on June 2 [1 favorite]

I came in to recommend Jeni's, too. Decadent.
posted by ceramicblue at 4:47 AM on June 2

In the past I have been very satisfied with Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Therapy, which is chocolate ice cream with crushed chocolate cookies and chocolate pudding swirled in. The texture of the cookies doesn't register and the pudding adds extra richness.

Ample Hills' Dark Chocolate also satisfies.

But I think this is a kind of personal decision, because the definition of "the best chocolate" changes over your life, I think. You start out a Hershey's/Milk Chocolate lover, then you start to play around in the world of fudge, and over time you may start to move into the darker chocolate arena and maybe start venturing into the foofy single-origin bar world. And at some point over that spectrum you find home. I think there's a chocolate ice cream that caters to each stage of that spectrum, and so it depends what your chocolate profile itself is.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 5:23 AM on June 2 [7 favorites]

Although if you're going to try making it from scratch, I suggest using a combination of dark cocoa powder and black cocoa powder for the flavoring. Someone tipped me off to that about a year ago for regular baking, and I have never gone back to the regular cocoa powder since (and am honestly now considering making an ice cream with that stuff, because I haven't tried that yet)
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 5:28 AM on June 2

Cacao Sampaka in Barcelona. They have a least 3 kinds of single origin cacao chocolate ice-cream. The whole place is just the greatest temple to chocolate in the known world.
posted by alchemist at 5:42 AM on June 2 [1 favorite]

Nthing Jeni's. There's also a recipe in her cookbook, which means Weeping_angel can still be correct too. It's a phenomenal chocolate
posted by Caravantea at 6:16 AM on June 2

Jeni's or Graeter's.
posted by cooker girl at 6:40 AM on June 2

A few years ago I did a taste test between a few different supermarket brands. The main thing I learned is that two generous scoops of two different chocolate ice creams is always better than any one on its own. It makes you more aware of all the subtle differences between them.
If I had to pick just one though it would be Bacio di Latte in Sao Paulo, they also have a branch in LA.
posted by Lanark at 6:43 AM on June 2 [3 favorites]

Here's how I solve this problem: I make my usual ice cream base (recipe to follow) with the addition of 25-40 g of the best cocoa powder I can buy (I'm fond of Cacao Barry).

Ice cream base: 5 egg yolks, 0.75 c sugar, 1.75 c heavy cream, 0.75 c milk, pinch salt. Mix together, place in a 3qt pot over medium heat, cook to 180F. Strain, chill, churn.

Chocolate ice cream variant: Same as above, add the cocoa powder in before you start heating. You can always add more if it doesn't look chocolatey enough. Be aware that cocoa powder is a thickening agent in its own right. If you've used enough, you'll basically have a pudding that you need to scrape and coax into your ice cream maker, and you won't really be able to get it to take on much air in churning. That's OK.
posted by Making You Bored For Science at 6:46 AM on June 2 [1 favorite]

Seconding the rec of Trader Joe's. I find many chocolate ice creams insufficiently chocolately, but theirs is good. I think it may be rebranded Double Rainbow ice cream.
posted by needs more cowbell at 7:17 AM on June 2 [2 favorites]

I was going to say zanzibar chocolate from The Chocolate Shoppe in Madison, WI. But, after reading these replies, I think I need to do further study of all of them to be sure.
posted by esker at 7:54 AM on June 2 [2 favorites]

Homemade, no contest.
posted by bile and syntax at 8:03 AM on June 2

I have tried every chocolate ice cream in the world and the best one is at Ralph’s. It’s called Denali Extreme Maximum Fudge Moose tracks.
posted by andreapandrea at 8:04 AM on June 2 [2 favorites]

Baskin Robbins' flavor number one, "World Class Chocolate".
posted by Fukiyama at 8:19 AM on June 2 [1 favorite]

Definitely Chapman's Dutch Chocolate.

When trying to decide if a chocolate ice cream or any other chocolate (cake, brownies, bar) is any good or not, try it with your eyes closed. If you can tell it is chocolate you are on to a winner. There are a surprising number of chocolate ice creams out there that rely on colour and exciting description but if you didn't know they were chocolate you couldn't tell. Chapmans is good because it is simple - no brownie bits, or chocolate swirl, let alone salted caramel pieces to distract you from discovering a sub-standard chocolate base.
posted by Jane the Brown at 9:14 AM on June 2 [1 favorite]

i like blue marble and van leeuwen but since you betrayed the gang and left brooklyn you prolly can't get either
posted by poffin boffin at 1:00 PM on June 2 [4 favorites]

we're dairy free, and we swear by the Trader Joe's coconut milk chocolate ice cream.
posted by alathia at 2:45 PM on June 2 [1 favorite]

That I've ever had, in the world? That would be Chocolate Profundo from Heladería Jauja, El Bolsón, Argentina. ("Para fanáticos.")
posted by rouftop at 9:44 PM on June 2

If you aren't looking to pay an arm and a leg - Friendly's Forbidden Chocolate is sooooo good. (Not the regular chocolate)
posted by pintapicasso at 4:05 AM on June 3

Well, now I know which question to show my friends if they want help understanding Ask Metafilter and what to expect in quality and depth of responses! Absolutely hilarious!

I love Double Rainbow's Chocolate ice cream, which I'm fairly sure is Trader Joe's ice cream because that used to be the only brand of ice cream they stocked before they withdrew it and had the exact same thing but with the TJ's logo slapped on it. This Northern (Californian) remembers.
posted by yueliang at 4:20 PM on June 3 [2 favorites]

Zanzibar Chocolate is made by Chocolate Shoppe, which may be carried by an ice cream shop near you and is also available online.

Tip: their vanilla ice cream is marshmallowy and delicious and equal parts of that and Zanzibar topped with real whipped cream makes the ultimate milkshake.
posted by Flannery Culp at 4:24 PM on June 4 [2 favorites]

Ice Cream Expert Guesses Cheap vs Expensive Ice Creams, with discussion of what to look for in ice creams.
posted by the man of twists and turns at 9:32 AM on June 7 [2 favorites]

If you're in Australia: Van Diemens Land Creamery in Hobart.
posted by Melismata at 1:34 PM on June 7

Reporting from Venice. My husband is a chocolate ice cream fanatic. Chocolate ice cream almost never meets his expectations. Our friends regularly make chocolate peanut butter ice cream for him as a gift and it took three years or tinkering for their recipe to make him happy. We have had to return to Gelato di Natura FOUR TIMES so he can have their extra dark chocolate gelato. Apparently, they have locations scattered around the world (and Venice).
posted by PatchesPal at 3:09 PM on June 19

For store-bought, I am thirding the Trader Joe's recommendation, their Ultra Chocolate stuff.
posted by bz at 12:47 PM on July 7

A serving of cheap chocolate ice cream becomes decadent once you stir in a spoonful of tahini.
posted by gray17 at 2:37 PM on July 14

« Older Should I seek out a writer's group (and if so, how...   |   Baby foot peel with blisters? Newer »