Songs that capture the feelings of motherhood

A friend has a baby undergoing a long-term NICU stay. I want to make her a sweet, loving playlist about motherhood. What songs do you know?

Brandi Carlisle's "The Mother" was the inspiration for this playlist. I'm not looking for songs from a child to a mother; I'm seeking songs that capture the feelings of being a mother. Style of music doesn't super matter. I'd prefer to avoid songs that deliberately evoke feelings of grief, anger, or stress.

Goals include: calm and comfort a friend whose newborn's health is precarious and who is spending a lot of time in the hospital while validating her state of new parenthood.
posted by linettasky to Media & Arts (29 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

“Baby Mine,” Alison Krauss
posted by sallybrown at 10:51 AM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Stevie Wonder, "Isn't she lovely?"
posted by lois1950 at 11:04 AM on June 1, 2019

“Sea of Love”, the Cat Power cover version
posted by pocams at 11:07 AM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

This is parenthood rather than motherhood, but David Bowie’s “Kooks” is great for a new baby.
posted by LizardBreath at 11:29 AM on June 1, 2019 [2 favorites]

I love Welcome by Hey Rosetta- not motherhood specifically, but parenthood. Also Lullaby, by the Dixie Chicks.
posted by DTMFA at 11:33 AM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

My father used to sing this to me. I love it so much! https://youtu.be/6fteMYl0Dzk
posted by KleenexMakesaVeryGoodHat at 11:35 AM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Beautiful Boy by John Lennon. Technically, it’s about fatherhood, but still lovely.
posted by FencingGal at 12:06 PM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

I sang this to my preemie, who was in the NICU for a while:

"Well, it's all right to be little bitty..."

It's cheerful and upbeat and sung by a man though, so may not be exactly what you're going for here.

In case it helps, let your friend know that this internet stranger's itty bitty preemie graduated college last year, and has no remaining health issues.
posted by SuperSquirrel at 12:12 PM on June 1, 2019 [5 favorites]

Tom Petty, "Alright For Now"
posted by We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese at 12:24 PM on June 1, 2019

"When You Dream" by the Barenaked Ladies.

At times when I had to be strong for my kids, the songs "King and Lionheart" by Of Monsters and Men and "As Long As You Follow" by Fleetwood Mac were comforting.
posted by christinetheslp at 1:28 PM on June 1, 2019

Regina Spektor and Ben Folds have a beautiful cover of Dear Theodosia on the Hamilton Mixtape.
posted by ChuraChura at 2:15 PM on June 1, 2019 [3 favorites]

Stevie Wonder, "You are the Sunshine of my Life"
posted by potrzebie at 2:41 PM on June 1, 2019

I’m a Believer by the Monkees
posted by St. Peepsburg at 2:48 PM on June 1, 2019

Lullaby by the Dixie Chicks ("How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough? Is forever enough?")

Jewel's entire album "Lullaby" is pretty good for calmness and mothering songs.
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 3:37 PM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Kenny Loggins has a whole album of lovely lullaby stuff that I listened to over and over when my boys were new.
posted by Biblio at 3:39 PM on June 1, 2019

Ooh, lullabies! Here's a good one:

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Dreamland
posted by SuperSquirrel at 3:46 PM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Present/Infant by Ani DiFranco
posted by castlebravo at 4:14 PM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

Dar Williams, "The One Who Knows"
"Que Sera Sera"

Not specifically motherhood-related, but big lullaby energy: "Goodnight, My Someone"
posted by Countess Elena at 4:29 PM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

"Love You" by The Free Design

"How are you doing" by The Living Sisters
posted by bleep at 4:33 PM on June 1, 2019 [1 favorite]

I enjoyed The Be Good Tanyas song Littlest Birds.
posted by slidell at 6:30 PM on June 1, 2019

I cry every time I hear this damn ABBA song
posted by Mrs. Rattery at 3:50 AM on June 2, 2019

Sweet Child O'Mine?
posted by low_horrible_immoral at 4:12 AM on June 2, 2019

If you are willing to go for non english songs "É PER TE" by Giovanotti, a very sweet llullaby for his daughter in italian.
posted by thegirlwiththehat at 8:11 AM on June 2, 2019 [1 favorite]

When I gave birth and had lots of feelings I liked “Sun Song” by Laura Veirs feat Neko Case.

I’ve been playing Woody Guthrie’s “Songs to Grow on for Mother and Child” with my baby and find some of the songs very sweet. We like “I Want My Milk and I Want It Now” but if the baby is not yet a good eater maybe pick something else. Actually, might be an idea to get someone who’s had a scary birth to do a quick scan of the final mix?

All the best to mother and baby. This is a very nice thing to do for your friend.
posted by Concordia at 10:40 AM on June 2, 2019

Lovey, by The Roches
posted by Sybil Stockwell Oop at 2:54 PM on June 2, 2019

"You and Me Against the World by Helen Reddy. Please excuse the dated video, but I just love this song. Although, now that I'm thinking it, that line "when one of us is gone" may not be the best choice for a mom with a child in NICU. Save it for when the baby comes home, for all they went through together.
posted by annieb at 6:06 PM on June 2, 2019

Goodnight My Angel by Billy Joel is a favorite of my daughter's.

Little Pony and Great Big Horse by Mike Cooley/Drive By Truckers is about a little one growing big and strong, but might be a bit melancholy so check that one.

And how about Blue by Beyonce?
posted by cheese at 11:39 AM on June 3, 2019

Cure for This by Golden Smog is lovely.
posted by maddieD at 12:57 PM on June 3, 2019

« Older Help me find an Android RSS reader and/or podcast...   |   Tell me the cool way you organize your car Newer »