You're gonna feel some kinda way about this

I am trying to recall the film/TV show that features a scene where a killer speaks matter-of-factly to a boy whose father he just killed that he knows the boy will likely come looking for him later and that he understands. I believe it includes a line something like, "You're probably gonna feel some kinda way about this."
posted by DirtyOldTown to Media & Arts (72 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

Kill Bill? when The Bride kills Vernita?
posted by Julnyes at 8:42 AM on May 29 [9 favorites]

I came here to suggest Kill Bill as well.
posted by PuppetMcSockerson at 8:46 AM on May 29

I think I can picture it (I'm not picturing Kill Bill). I think the scene is set in the 1950s, and at night. The guy is maybe a spy or some kind of underground operative?
posted by Pax at 8:48 AM on May 29

I would be shocked if Tarantino didn't take the concept from some previous film, but I can't place it either.
posted by Rock Steady at 8:56 AM on May 29 [1 favorite]

No, I know the person is referencing a different thing and it's on the tip of my brain. It was a guy like Michael Madsen (who was in Kill Bill, I know), but it definitely is a man. I think it was a TV show.

Wait, was it in Inglorious Basterds? Hmm. Or that latest Coen brothers series of short films.
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 8:57 AM on May 29 [2 favorites]

Anything in TV Tropes: Cycle of Revenge look familiar?
posted by zamboni at 9:00 AM on May 29

OK, I THOUGHT I recalled a scene like this from LOST - a flashback, where Sawyer meets the man whose actions set off the murder-suicide of his parents. After googling I think I'm actually misremembering the scene - but maybe you were too?
posted by showbiz_liz at 9:02 AM on May 29 [4 favorites]

I thought it was at night right after the dude kills his father - like a warning/prediction.
posted by Pax at 9:04 AM on May 29 [1 favorite]

That Kill Bill scene is a fantastic example of the trope and I appreciate being reminded of it. But that's not it. Definitely a man, probably a southern or rural man.

I wonder if I have the part about it being the victim's kid he's talking to wrong. If it were a brother or other relative, that would make it possible for it to be from Justified, since Raylan Givens was constantly killing hillbillies with families... though that notion doesn't clarify the memory any, so maybe not.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 9:05 AM on May 29 [1 favorite]

I'm picturing a Tommy Lee Jones-y or Josh Brolin-y type of killer, in case that sparks anyone else's memory.
posted by Rock Steady at 9:09 AM on May 29

Definitely a man, probably a southern or rural man.

I'm picturing the same thing - at night in/near a barn or shed or in the woods?
posted by Pax at 9:09 AM on May 29

Sisters Brothers? Westworld? It was at night (i think) and rural/rugged (definitely)... this is really bugging me. I haven't seen Justified so it wasn't that, but I do feel that it was a prestige drama or movie.
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 9:12 AM on May 29 [2 favorites]

This sounds like Dexter's backstory to me.
posted by Hermione Granger at 9:18 AM on May 29 [4 favorites]

"Feel some kind of way" points to it being new, if that's the exact phrasing - it's only within the last 3 years or so that I've seen that specific phrase in use (and my feeling is that it comes from African American dialects, but I could be wrong about that.)
posted by Jeanne at 9:20 AM on May 29 [6 favorites]

Is there something close to this in Unforgiven?
posted by GCU Sweet and Full of Grace at 9:24 AM on May 29

I've seen this scene, but I can't get there either. Instead of southern, though, in my head it's African-American. Could it be Will Smith in Suicide Squad, maybe? Or Denzel in something?
posted by uberchet at 9:39 AM on May 29

I do think it's within the last ten years.

Could be an African-American man, sure that could still work with the folksy vernacular. I think it's a southerner though. I haven't seen Suicide Squad.

It's the line I'm looking for most of all. I don't have it worded exactly right and it's too vague to just Google. But that was what I admired about the scene, how the vague folksiness of the line marked out a sort of ellipsis that didn't need to be explained.

Still hoping someone remembers it so I don't end rewatching a hundred hours of stuff trying to track it down.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 9:49 AM on May 29

Still hoping someone remembers
Oh wow ME TOO.

I looked for it a bunch in Suicide Squad vids on Youtube but no joy. Searching with that phrase at YouTube pulls up lots of music videos, which is really annoying, btw.
posted by uberchet at 9:50 AM on May 29

I, too, have a memory of hearing this recently and definitely in a non-Kill Bill context.

Is it maybe in Ballad of Buster Scruggs? Or The Sisters Brothers? I've seen both recently...
posted by Tomorrowful at 9:52 AM on May 29

For some reason, Road To Perdition (Tom Hanks) and Miller's Crossing (Gabriel Byrne) come to mind; although I don't think it was either of those, that's kind of the feel I get from this quote.
posted by disconnect at 9:53 AM on May 29 [1 favorite]

Ballad of Buster Scruggs does sound like a good lead. I was also thinking of "No Country for Old Men" or maybe "There Will be Blood" but I haven't been able to find anything.
posted by RustyBrooks at 9:56 AM on May 29 [2 favorites]

I haven't seen Ballad of Buster Scruggs. so it couldn't be that.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 10:22 AM on May 29

Have you seen westworld? Or hateful eight?
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 10:28 AM on May 29

It was not Kill Bill. It was a craggy looking man talking and it’s something not that old.
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 10:29 AM on May 29

The only place where that sort of thing might ring a bell in Justified is Season 5, the one with the Florida Crowes coming up to Kentucky. You've got the two brothers and the red-headed sister, their lawyer, variously raising young teenager Kendal Crowe. By the end of that season, Raylan has killed both of the brothers and Kendal was acting out in a severe way.

I don't recall in particular any young folks in the Bennett family (which has been warring with the Givens family); the only other real young person at stake was Loretta McCready (Kaitlyn Dever displaying her acting chops at a young age) who was cordial if not friendly to Raylan and his protective acts, but also not a violent or apparently vengeful person.

The Sisters Brothers, mentioned above, is tickling me on this. Worth a check.
posted by Sunburnt at 10:30 AM on May 29

i'm at work so can't look up clips but...is it Gangs of New York? In the beginning when Bill the Butcher kills Leo D's father, does he maybe say something to him like that?
posted by silverstatue at 11:00 AM on May 29 [2 favorites]

I think there is a scene like that in Gangs of New York, but that's not what I'm picturing (this isn't my question but it's driving me crazy...).
posted by Pax at 11:09 AM on May 29

Didn't Jody say something similar when he killed Jesse's dad in Preacher? Trying to find the scene but no internet luck so far.
posted by esmerelda_jenkins at 11:11 AM on May 29

My half memory is that this is a time travel movie thing where future self is talking to younger self. Looper, maybe?
posted by oomny at 11:18 AM on May 29

Did you ever watch Peaky Blinders? This seems like a moment from that.
posted by yes I said yes I will Yes at 11:21 AM on May 29

> Jeanne: "Feel some kind of way" points to it being new, if that's the exact phrasing - it's only within the last 3 years or so that I've seen that specific phrase in use (and my feeling is that it comes from African American dialects, but I could be wrong about that.)

Some type of way is the more typical way I've seen it phrased.
posted by Rock Steady at 11:47 AM on May 29

Any possibility it might be a mangled memory of the "eff pride" scene in Pulp Fiction? I mention it in particular because the same storyline has a flashback to a father dying (in a POW camp) and an older man (Christopher Walken) telling the story in a sort of dry way to the younger version of the character (Bruce Willis).
posted by praemunire at 11:47 AM on May 29

If it's newer than Kill Bill, it's definitely newer than Pulp Fiction or anything in Gangs.
posted by uberchet at 12:02 PM on May 29

Supernatural? Dean kills a monster (played by Jewel Staite) who has a son who catches him killing her. but I'm not sure he says that line....
posted by aclevername at 12:30 PM on May 29 [4 favorites]

Possibly the 2010 True Grit remake?
posted by Iris Gambol at 12:41 PM on May 29

I wouldn't have come up with it myself, but I think it's the Supernatural episode. Now that it's been mentioned I'm pretty sure I remember it.
posted by LizardBreath at 12:43 PM on May 29

I just watched the Supernatural bit and, although the scenario is the same, Dean doesn't say anything resembling that phrase. :(
posted by something something at 12:49 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

What about The Wire?
posted by emilynoa at 1:09 PM on May 29

Black Panther, maybe? I can't remember the plot very well but that was what came to mind when reading the question.
posted by exceptinsects at 1:21 PM on May 29 [2 favorites]

Could it be 11.22.63?
posted by la glaneuse at 1:25 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

I was also thinking Black Panther and the backstory to Killmonger.
posted by amanda at 1:51 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

Ooh, or was it from The Umbrella Academy?
posted by amanda at 1:55 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

I want to say Bruce Willis' character in 'Lucky Number Slevin' but that doesn't really fit.
posted by porpoise at 2:06 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

Was there a paint roller in the scene?

Ha ha, just kidding. When I read the description of the scene I immediately mentally set it in a barn or some kind of storage shed, if that leads anywhere. Definitely sounds familiar, good luck!
posted by prize bull octorok at 2:26 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

Cohen brothers' No Country For Old Men?
posted by GeeEmm at 2:59 PM on May 29

The Departed?
posted by ewok_academy at 4:07 PM on May 29

Maybe Fargo the TV series, or is Billy Bob Thornton not craggy enough? (Or maybe a newer season?)
posted by jkaczor at 4:11 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

I think this is it, honestly. According to the transcript, the sad kid threatens to kill Dean, who answers, "Well, look me up in a few years. Assuming I live that long." The episode is "The Girl Next Door" from season 7 if you want to stream it.
posted by Snarl Furillo at 4:22 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

Argh this is frustrating! I think I remember this scene. Was the main character, who does the killing, tortured as a child by the person they kill? Maybe not physically but mentally. Or perhaps taken from their parent, or their parent was killed in front of them, hence their understanding the child's POV. My other recollection is that the character had just completed (and against all odds, survived) a series of challenges/bad guys to get in a position where they would be able to make the kill -- hence they couldn't not do it, even though the child was there. Throwing these out in case they trigger a memory for someone.

I went through the You Killed My Father trope but nothing rang a bell, and I don't think it quite fits. Could it be somewhere in the Umbrella Academy?
posted by trotzdem_kunst at 6:17 PM on May 29

This has been driving me crazy all night. I remember this too, and it's not any of the films already listed. I'm thinking it was some kind of professional hitman or assassin who did the killing. Thinking of The Accountant or John Wick or a Liam Neeson type. Denzel in one of The Equalizer movies?
posted by the webmistress at 6:59 PM on May 29

I am being driven mad by this so I’ll put it all succinctly what I’ve watched that I remember. Westworld, Tarantino movies, umbrella academy in their latest seasons. Sisters Brothers and Hell or High Water. Also preacher did make me think that was it but I can’t find the guy saying it when his dad dies and it seems like an assassin/crime boss sort of thing. The person was very good at killing.

To me this scene is definitely after a middle aged/older man has killed people close to a child and he lets the kid live. He’s not exactly resigned but more like it slightly amuses him that the cycle can start over. The child looks pissed. It may be a non-white child? I forget but for the guy I have a kind of Michael Madsen/ed Harris from westworld vibe.

His quote is along the lines of “I know you may feel some kind of way when you grow up, you can come and find me if you do.”

It seems western or rustic. The person who did the killing wasn’t just pure evil. It was a job. It isn’t Justified or Supernatural. I think given that it’s driving us all mad maybe someone start a PM group and we list all the things we’ve commonly seen haha. It’s really killing me. I fast watched 4 eps of preacher.
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 7:22 PM on May 29 [6 favorites]

There will be blood?
posted by nikaspark at 7:39 PM on May 29

I know I've seen this. The only candidates I can think of are True Grit (the Coen Brothers one) or maybe something in Guardians of the Galaxy.
posted by under_petticoat_rule at 8:10 PM on May 29 [1 favorite]

Dang, this is on the tip of MY brain, too!
Is it possible that it was actually in a comic book? I'm thinking Wolverine, or The Punisher, or someone in one of the Ed Brubaker noir series for Image...?
posted by D.Billy at 9:03 PM on May 29

Fargo S1E08

Lorne Malvo: I watched a bear once. His leg was in a steel trap. It chewed through bloody bone to get free. It was in Alaska. Died about an hour later facedown in a stream. But it was on his own terms, you know? You got close. Closer than anybody else. I don't know if it was you or your partner, but look, if you still feel raw about things when you heal up, come see me.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 9:18 PM on May 29 [9 favorites]

This is now driving me mad too. I swear I have also seen it but have no idea where. I haven't seen many of the shows/films mentioned in this thread but I have seen Umbrella Academy and I feel it really fits in there style-wise but can't think where it fits in plot-wise. I've also seen Black Panther and I don't think that's it.

Of the list in Zamboni's tropes link the one that jumped out at me was Castle. I think Kate didn't witness her father's death so it doesn't seem to fit in a plot sense but it feels emotionally plausible and she did IIRC confront her father's killer as an adult. It could fit in the Flash plot-wise but it doesn't feel right.
posted by *becca* at 2:10 AM on May 30

Oh wait! This doesn't fit at all with the dead father but is it Garcia Flynn in Timeless?? Talking to Lucy about future Lucy coming to find him or talking to Wyatt about Jessica?
posted by *becca* at 2:25 AM on May 30

I feel like I've seen this scene before as well. I can't find the right episode, but could it have been from the tv show The Americans?
posted by fourpotatoes at 4:15 AM on May 30 [1 favorite]

Outlier: A Perfect World starring Kevin Costner and Clint Eastwood.
posted by infinitewindow at 5:36 AM on May 30

This is tickling my brain, too. Did Mal say something like this in Firefly? The phrasing is very Whedonesque.
posted by ourobouros at 5:59 AM on May 30 [1 favorite]

I was TOTALLY just having shower thoughts about this being from Firefly. Or something else Nathan Fillion has been in. (We call him Cap'n Castle around here.) But then I was also thinking that it was something I had watched more recently ... Castle Rock? Barry? Get Shorty (TV show)? Fargo? ARRRGGGH.
posted by esmerelda_jenkins at 8:42 AM on May 30

I am learning that perhaps the problem is that this is such a common trope, locating a single instance of it based on an imperfect recollection of an intentionally vague line may be nigh-on impossible.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 9:00 AM on May 30 [6 favorites]

all of my near-miss recollections are starting to bleed together in my head and let me tell you, Indiana Jones & Barry Lyndon vs Black Manta is gonna be one lit crossover flick
posted by prize bull octorok at 9:03 AM on May 30 [3 favorites]

I now subscribe to the theory that this is in every piece of media only it erases all memory except a vague YEARNING that you must know what it's from.
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 9:43 AM on May 30 [5 favorites]

I am plagued by the same yearning.

For anyone thinking Will Smith, he says "I can understand you feeling some kind of way about that" in Hancock, according to QuoDB, but it's to inmates that he helped catch.
posted by crone islander at 10:04 AM on May 30 [4 favorites]

That might actually be the line, even if I got the context wrong.

I am enjoying the long list of Killers Speak Plainly to Their Victim's Kid/Associate scenes though.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 10:52 AM on May 30 [3 favorites]

Well, it's not "No Country for Old Men" for sure. I just watched that, not even close.

Amazing movie though.
posted by RustyBrooks at 8:28 PM on May 30

(crone islander, I think you're absolute right re: Smith.)
posted by uberchet at 8:31 PM on May 30

I'm pretty sure Road to Perdition (or Gangs of New York) is what I assigned to the visual, though neither are probably correct. Paint rollers for all.
posted by Pax at 5:21 AM on May 31 [1 favorite]

What immediately comes to mind for me is A Perfect World with Kevin Costner but its old. And I am not watching it again, but it may fit.
posted by Altomentis at 12:47 PM on May 31 [1 favorite]

FWIW, "feel some kind of way" only came up in episode transcripts from SpringfieldSpringfield.co.uk (Google search results), and a few more for feeling some kind of way.

But that might be a flawed or limited result, given that the Hancock transcript is also on the site. It looks like the line breaks ruin the search results for specific phrases, because that line is included as

I can understand you feeling some
kind of way about that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted by filthy light thief at 10:47 AM on June 6

« Older Anyone have experience with Same-e for depression?   |   Good books for 7yo who reads at about a sixth... Newer »