Paris shopping filter: small, cool, cheap, colorful?
May 26, 2019 6:34 PM   Subscribe

What are some good places in Paris to shop for inexpensive small items that are also interesting and/or pretty? Looking for the class of objects roughly matching the "impulse purchase" section of American craft stores, or the kids' prize box in elementary school-- stationery, jewelry, little toys, little tools, knickknacks, etc., etc.

HEMA, Merci, and Pylones are names that seem to come up frequently, but are there any other recommended options for this type of shopping? Street markets, perhaps?

Shops with at least some offerings in the €1-€5 range would be especially nice. Thanks!
posted by Bardolph to Shopping (14 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite

Museum shops are often good for this. I recall the national museum of modern art in the Centre Pompidou had lots of these items.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 6:40 PM on May 26, 2019 [1 favorite]

Oh and also the Carnavalet has a great gift shop with these kinds of items. (Plus that is a cool museum to poke around in, and admission is actually free. If you like Art Nouveau, there’s a set of Art Nouveau rooms you can visit.)
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 6:44 PM on May 26, 2019 [2 favorites]

Le BHV Marais is a 6 floor department store that I found pretty fun to walk through a few weeks back when I was caught by a surprise spring rainstorm and needed a place to dry out and wait for the rain to pass.
posted by nikaspark at 7:09 PM on May 26, 2019 [1 favorite]

Also there’s a REALLY cool Sunday flea market/vendor stall thing in Clignancourt every Saturday to Monday (wander past the tents to the backstreets):

details
posted by nikaspark at 7:13 PM on May 26, 2019

The metro stop on line 12, Abbesse, has lots of small boutique shops, different price points but not all expensive. BHV is also great and near the Marais which has great shops, a more expensive area though.
posted by ellieBOA at 9:40 PM on May 26, 2019

flower flavored candy at galleries lafayette
posted by brujita at 12:52 AM on May 27, 2019

There are many branches of Pylones in France. They have been pushing French designed products for about 30 years. The owners started out at the ENSCI industrial design school in Paris - and went on the sell in flea markets initially. Not always cheap, however!
posted by rongorongo at 1:41 AM on May 27, 2019 [1 favorite]

Flying Tiger has a few branches in Paris
posted by horizons at 5:39 AM on May 27, 2019

The teeny-tiny Air France archive at Invalides has some incredible vintage postcards, six for five euros, I think.
posted by mdonley at 5:51 AM on May 27, 2019

Sajou (haberdashery and other sewing supplies)
posted by Signy at 6:24 AM on May 27, 2019

Flying Tiger has a few branches in Paris

Yes yes yes this is my favourite store. Enthusiastically seconded. Hema is also amazing.
posted by urbanlenny at 9:04 AM on May 27, 2019 [2 favorites]

You may want to spend roughly an hour or so at "Les Puces", the big flea market in Saint-Ouen, just north of the capital. Just take métro line 4 to its northern terminus at Porte de Clignancourt.
posted by DavidfromBA at 5:49 PM on May 27, 2019

Along the Seine, I like the Bouquinistes; you can usually find something of interest, plus it's just a very unique Parisian thing.
posted by rich at 8:15 AM on May 28, 2019

There's a great homewares shop near Place de République called La Trésorerie that has lots of fun kitchen tools and trinkets. They have a nice selection of inexpensive French-made knives, utensils, brushes, and French linen tea towels. Maybe not quite in the €1-€5 range, but many items not too much more than that. (Of course you can spend a lot more if you choose.) I came back with some brightly coloured L'Econome paring knives, teaspoons, some glass egg cups, and linen dish towels.
posted by amusebuche at 9:12 PM on June 2, 2019

« Older Looking for SoCal Urban Sustainability /Renewal...   |   Good books set in Switzerland or Northern Italy? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments