Cell phone home base with ringer?

Cell phone charging stand with extra loud ringer - does it exist?

I ditched my land line for a cell phone (Nokia 6225), which works fine for me, except occasionally when I am at home. If I have the ringer on loud enough to hear around the house, it's too loud for carrying in my pocket. I know I can set up separate profiles for home and outside, but then I have to remember to change it every time I enter or leave, and the loudest setting still isn't loud enough. I think it would be much easier if I had a base station near the front door. I've had friends express an interest in exactly the same kind of thing, so I figure there must be a demand. Why can't I find this product?

(Nokia makes these things but I don't know what they do with the ring, and I don't really need the speaker phone or music features.)
posted by teg to Technology (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Even better there is a system that allows your cell phone to jack into your home phone system when you get to your house, letting you use your cell phone from any land line phones.

A quick Google search led me here:http://www.jakeludington.com/gadget_envy/20051021_cell_phone_to_landline_converter.html
posted by daHIFI at 12:03 PM on February 27, 2006

Thanks. That's an interesting option that never occured to me. I think it's still more than I need, but I'll consider it. (Dock'n'Talk info)
posted by teg at 1:31 PM on February 27, 2006

Hmmm... anyone know if Dock'n'Talk will work with Vonage? We're thinking about Vonage or a similar service for our 'land line' and it would be groovy to be able to integrate our cell phone. I checked D'n'T's FAQ, but it doesn't mention anything, and I'm phone-savvy impaired.
posted by Corky at 4:04 PM on February 27, 2006

If your day-to-day schedule has little variation, some Nokia phones will let you program a time each day that it switches to a given profile.

Also, while you may not find a base that itself has a loud ringer, I've also seen several Nokias that will switch which profile they have when a device is plugged in. I had my old one set to switch to the loudest ring when I had the car charger/speaker plugged in.
posted by solotoro at 4:46 PM on February 27, 2006

Thanks Solotoro! Mine doesn't seem to have the profile schedule function, and my schedule isn't very regular anyway, but I've now found the function that lets me choose a profile for when its connected to the charger. (On my phone: Menu -> Settings -> Enhancement Settings -> Charger -> Set a profile.) I'd still like a louder ringer, but at least now I can have it on the loudest setting at home and something more reasonable when I'm out. I'll try this out while I contemplate the Dock n Talk.
posted by teg at 9:09 PM on February 27, 2006

« Older Password expiration best practices?   |   Firefox keeps crashing and I hates it, precious. Newer »