Android firewall app?

I have a Pixel 3a and would like to find a firewall app.

I won't be rooting my phone, so it needs to work without root.

Are there good open source ones?

NetGuard? AFWall?

Any closed source ones that are demonstrably trustworthy?
posted by Nonce to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Maybe things have changed, but I think root is required to modify the firewall on Android. Is there a particular reason root is not an option? If you are looking for security/privacy/control over your phone, it's ultimately that path you will want to go down.

AFWall is excellent and super easy to use. NetGuard works by routing everything through a local VPN, so it wont work if you are also using a VPN. Those are the only two I am aware of although you could poke around a little on F-Droid to see if there's anything new.
posted by quarterframer at 10:44 AM on May 16 [1 favorite]

All the firewalls I've look at that don't require root work by creating their own local VPN (same with some antivirus active-web-protection apps). If you're accessing the Internet via VPN already, you won't be able to use both VPNs at the same time.

If you're not already using a VPN, NetGuard seems to be highly regarded.

I've unlocked and rooted my Pixel 1, and I'm very happily using Private Internet Access VPN along with AFWall+.
posted by Greg_Ace at 12:20 PM on May 16 [1 favorite]

« Older Garden and Plant-related Children's Books   |   Replacement for 11" MacBook Air 2012? Newer »