Trying to ID this chair...or just narrow down to a decade?

I picked up these two club chairs at a "friend of friends" house sale for a Chicago investment banker moving to the West Coast. The house was full of really lovely furniture (Saarinen Oval Dining Table, some Baker cafe chairs, some vintage Knoll, etc.) These chairs were fun and incredibly comfortable and relatively cheap because they have no label.

All I know about them is that they were recovered once years ago, the legs are ebonized, the slings under the seat cushions are thin black metal. That's it. Ah! And they were used in a Playboy photo shoot at one point when a photographer used this house as the set.

They could be totally 80's chairs or 50's chairs or who knows? I'm not going to resell them, we're going to keep them. But if anyone recognizes them or has a clue about them? I'm so curious about them.
posted by jeanmari to Home & Garden (6 answers total)

And...damn. I forgot the link. Here it is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65384474@N00/albums/72157680407605778
posted by jeanmari at 2:49 PM on May 14

It looks like the fabric on the bottom is stapled on. Could you remove this temporarily and see if there is a label or brand inside the frame?
posted by Short End Of A Wishbone at 2:53 PM on May 14

Tub or Barrel chairs, if that helps. Without an approximate date, it’s hard to get further.
posted by frumiousb at 4:48 PM on May 14

West Elm has a look-alike here: Oliver Chair. Might give you a starting point for a web search.
posted by skye.dancer at 4:51 PM on May 14

If you can get the Taobao image search working (follow directions in English online) you might be able to find a copy which will tell you more.
posted by frumiousb at 4:52 PM on May 14

The most similar chairs I see are lounge chairs by Otto Schulz. Mid century.
posted by Altomentis at 9:00 PM on May 14

« Older Just Friends, Just Friends   |   New Construction in the Neighborhood. What are... Newer »