I need a name that personifies rigorous testing
May 13, 2019 12:46 PM   Subscribe

I am naming a semi-serious award and I need help brainstorming names that exemplify systematic testing procedures.

Every semester in my engineering class I try to recognize standout accomplishments by the students with appropriately-named awards. This time I have a team that organized the most systematic and well documented robot-testing procedures we've ever seen and I'm drawing a bit of a blank. Just as a concrete example, my first set of options is:

* William Sealy Gossett (arguably the progenitor of A/B testing)
* Chuck Yeager (excellence in flight testing)
* Bill Tindall (excellence in project management)

I don't know enough about the history of testing/qa/project management and would love to learn who the exemplars really are.
posted by range to Technology (14 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Frederick Taylor; seems especially appropriate for robot-testing because some criticize him for making a world in which "employees are treated as robots."
posted by Mr.Know-it-some at 1:01 PM on May 13 [2 favorites]

SPrintF beat me to it. +1 on Deming - he focused on rigorous testing, and human-centered design.
posted by SoundInhabitant at 1:10 PM on May 13

Lillian and Frank Gilbreth maybe? Well known enough to have feature films made about them at one point.
posted by Leon at 1:15 PM on May 13 [2 favorites]

Robots, you say?

The Karel and Josef ńĆapek Award.
posted by Faint of Butt at 1:23 PM on May 13

Edward Murphy, Jr.
posted by Huffy Puffy at 1:40 PM on May 13

There's already a Deming award. Also a Deming Prize. That's more recognition than I think he's worth, TBH.

How about
The Gauntlet Award
posted by Kirth Gerson at 5:22 PM on May 13

Bobby Tables.
posted by axiom at 9:46 PM on May 13 [1 favorite]

Anubis.
posted by pompomtom at 11:12 PM on May 13

The Amtal Rule
posted by Mister Moofoo at 3:13 AM on May 14

John Stapp, the rocket sled guy. Gotta love that Time magazine cover.
posted by at at 5:23 AM on May 14

You are all geniuses every one and I'm extremely grateful. For extracurricular reasons (the students are also an inseparable couple, their testing greatly resembled "time and motion" studies although in a very different vein, I like telling stories about prominent female engineers) we're going to go with the Lillian and Frank Gilbreth Award but GOD DAMN am I tempted to name it after Aperture Science instead.
posted by range at 9:49 AM on May 14

« Older Gum graft - help me comparison-shop periodontists...   |   Educational videos/shows on space and physics Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments