Cookbook based on time intervals

Trying to find a recipe book that had recipes sorted by shortest to longest time to prepare.

Last year I was in Foyles on Charing Cross in London, browsing the cook books and found a really interesting one that sorted recipes on how long they took to cook/make. So it went from say an omelette, right through to recipes that required pickling or fermenting - which can take weeks. Sadly it was the day before pay day and as it was in the basement I couldn't save it to my wish list.

I can't find it now. I've searched but Google doesn't really understand my question - lots of quick recipes etc. Can anyone help? It was a small(ish) book, and quite minimal.
posted by treblekicker to Food & Drink (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Was it From Simple to Spectacular by Mark Bittman and Jean-Georges Vongerichten? It's a great cookbook that's not exactly what you describe but similar: they take a single recipe and present it five ways, from the most simple (related to Bittman's Minimalist column that he used to write for the New York Times) to the most complex version which might take days of prep, special ingredients, advanced techniques.
posted by BlahLaLa at 6:49 AM on May 8, 2019

Anna Jones' A Modern Way To Cook is so organized, with fifteen-20 minute recipes, 30 minute recipes, 45 minute recipes, and longer ones. Her instructions are also detailed in the correct order to get things done in that time (roughly) if you're a reasonably experienced home cook.

Note: Vegetarian
posted by platitudipus at 6:52 AM on May 8, 2019 [1 favorite]

Oh, oops, I don't know that that's the book you were looking for. It's not big by cookbook standards, but it's not exactly small. Sorry for my reading comprehension fail.
posted by platitudipus at 6:53 AM on May 8, 2019

Response by poster: Hi. Thanks, but no. The Bittman cookbook looks great - and I've seen that approach elsewhere used well. No this was definitely sorted by time - there weren't multiple versions of the same recipe.

It's also not the Anna Jones. Got that - great cookbook and I'm not even a vegetarian. This book used the time intervals as its central concept.
posted by treblekicker at 6:53 AM on May 8, 2019

« Older JavaScript: convert a number into individual...   |   When / how to tell an employer about autism-like... Newer »