Migrating to a New Podcast Player on Android - But Which One?
May 4, 2019 7:17 PM Subscribe
The latest version of Pocket Casts for Android (v7) runs intolerably sluggishly on my Galaxy 7. (Multi-second lag when navigating through the app, etc.) I’d like to migrate to a new podcast player, and am looking for recommendations. What do you use to listen to podcasts on Android? (Alternately, if you had problems with the latest Pocket Casts as well, did reinstalling the app solve your difficulties?) Thanks much! Special snowflake migration details inside…
- I have a lot of podcasts. Ideally, the new player can import metadata from the OPML format that Pocket Casts exports in. Otherwise this is going to be a looong migration.
- Easy navigation to very old downloaded episodes. I download lots of episodes and take forever to listen to them.
- Easy re-downloading of episodes you’ve listened to before.
- Quickly skip through ads, and skip the beginnings of episodes so you can avoid the preroll.
- Ability to access subscriber-only RSS feeds - and to generally add RSS feeds.
- Paying money to get rid of ads or even just use the program is fine - a few bucks for a good program is a worthwhile trade, and probably better than free.
- The ability to queue up multiple episodes to play in sequence.
- If the podcast player wants to allow episode streaming, It would be great to force it to download episodes instead.
- A responsive GUI.