Biking the Greenbrier River Trail
April 18, 2019 7:06 AM Subscribe
I'd like to bicycle the Greenbrier River Trail, a state park in West Virginia, and most of the information I can find about it is sparse, outdated, or covers only small sections of the 77-mile trail. I'm looking for advice from people who have done the whole trail recently.
- There was a lot of flood damage in 2016 and again in 2018. Can anyone speak to its current condition? Are their closures and/or sections where I really need a mountain bike instead of a road/cross bike?
- Recommended accommodations in the middle of the trail, since I plan to break it up over two or three days?
- Two days or three? I am planning on two since I regularly bike 35 hilly miles, so 35 flat ones per day doesn't sound too bad, but wouldn't mind taking three if there are cool side trails or attractions I might want to stop and check out.
- Are there specific dates I should avoid due to big events / races / crowding?
- There are conflicting reports about the availability of cell service, probably due to the information being outdated. Is it still nonexistent for the entire trail, or has that improved?