Time for another round of Name That Scat

While cleaning my basement I found an alarming pile of what I assume is poop, though I would be delighted to discover it was something else.

That's 3/4" electrical conduit, for scale. The individual bits are about 1/8" in diameter and very long, in some cases over an inch long. Does anybody recognize this stuff either as a biological product or the result of some erosive process in my concrete floor? There are no signs of mischief in the ceiling above.
posted by range to Home & Garden (13 answers total)

It LOOKS like ferret poop.
posted by Pastor of Muppets at 8:04 AM on April 15 [2 favorites]

Looks to me like a larger version of what comes out of garden snails. Maybe a big slug?
posted by flabdablet at 8:16 AM on April 15 [1 favorite]

Yeah that looks like ferret or some sort of weasel. They have long poops. You can see some at the end of this blog post.
posted by jessamyn at 8:27 AM on April 15

Another one for Ferret Poop.. but I'd assume it was in a corner more if it was.... they like corners...
posted by niteHawk at 8:39 AM on April 15

Ferret seems pretty unlikely - they're domesticated animals, why would there be a loose ferret living in the OP's basement?

OP - where do you live? That would help narrow it down.
posted by showbiz_liz at 8:54 AM on April 15

This is a house right on the edge of Boston. Close to a large park and the last working farm in Boston proper so interesting wildlife is not totally out of the question. That is indeed a corner. That part of the basement is about 4-5' below grade. Never in a million years would have suspected a weasel...
posted by range at 9:01 AM on April 15

Maybe it is a squirrel.
posted by Oyéah at 9:27 AM on April 15

So... apparently there are quite a few wild examples of the Mustelidae family running wild in Mass.. probably not a ferret, but perhaps one of those? Also, apparently, skunks have the same long looking poop...
https://www.mass.gov/service-details/mammals-in-massachusetts
posted by niteHawk at 10:00 AM on April 15

I think you would know if you had a skunk visitor. Even when not alarmed they are perfumed.
posted by Botanizer at 10:04 AM on April 15 [1 favorite]

Bat? If you're not seeing other mischief, or hearing something moving around, that seems like a likely option.

It seems too small for skunk or raccoon, although I have had a skunk living in my crawl space / walls, and nobody could smell it until someone surprised it and it sprayed. We did hear it scritching around, though.
posted by momus_window at 11:26 AM on April 15

Squirrel poops are typically shorter than what you're describing. Raccoon poops are wider. I wish I didn't know that, but sadly...
posted by blerghamot at 12:37 PM on April 15 [1 favorite]

Gonna Nth the Mustelidae poop resemblance. I think chances are pretty good you have a weasel of some sort living in your basement.
posted by Caduceus at 9:06 AM on April 16

Bat poops usually look like mouse droppings, IME.
posted by Pastor of Muppets at 9:18 AM on April 16

« Older Managing HOSTS file Ad-Blocking on Win10   |   Speech to text transcription for Mac? Newer »