what is this thing?
April 13, 2019 7:31 PM   Subscribe

What is this weird plastic thing? The red straps (there's one on each end) have elastic rubber rings that you hook into those eyelets. Any clue?

Pics here
posted by some loser to Grab Bag (18 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
That link doesn't work for me.
posted by aubilenon at 7:35 PM on April 13 [2 favorites]

Non-working link makes for extra mystery.
posted by flabdablet at 7:49 PM on April 13 [1 favorite]

[Fixed the link]
posted by Eyebrows McGee (staff) at 10:43 PM on April 13

How large is this thing?
posted by The Toad at 11:19 PM on April 13

Just a guess, but it reminds me of a kite string spool.
posted by batter_my_heart at 11:30 PM on April 13 [1 favorite]

For reference the item is probably 24 inches in length across the longest side. Maybe longer.
posted by some loser at 11:33 PM on April 13

Or, a spool for winding up something bulkier than string, like a hose. Something more flexible than ordinary garden hose, though.
posted by SemiSalt at 4:43 AM on April 14

Like an outdoor extension cord? I was just dealing with a tangled orange ball even though I'm sure I tried to pack it up neatly last time. A winding spool would be a fine thing, and I could see how stretchy adjustable end-straps would help further contain it.
posted by teremala at 4:57 AM on April 14 [2 favorites]

Is it a carrier/ holder for the (slightly) different sized straps? I was amazed by the packaging the last time mr Jane bought a set of ratchet straps...
posted by sarajane at 5:25 AM on April 14

That looks to me like something that might go across the gunwales of a canoe, though the purpose of that specific shape doesn't jump out to me, and because canoes have curved sides, the "arms" aren't usually the exact same length. But if you google "canoe thwart" you'll see a variety of styles, and may find some inspiration.
posted by Orlop at 7:09 AM on April 14

It is indeed a winder. Probably for garden hose, but could be other kinds of hose.

The straps come off, you wind hose around it, then you put the straps back on, at the closest notch that snugs up the material.
posted by seanmpuckett at 7:39 AM on April 14 [7 favorites]

Are the rings big enough to slide as far as that innermost set of holes?
posted by bonobothegreat at 8:49 AM on April 14

...sorry, (re-read the question) I thought the rings were metal.
posted by bonobothegreat at 8:55 AM on April 14

You may want to try exposing this to a million-strong audience at /r/whatisthisthing.
posted by WCityMike at 9:15 AM on April 14 [1 favorite]

The straps come off, you wind hose around it, then you put the straps back on, at the closest notch that snugs up the material.

Alternatively perhaps the straps stay on, and you wind your electrical extension cord around the outside of them. For short cords the straps stay on the outermost hooks, giving you maximum winding speed; for longer cords you take the straps further toward the centre, or perhaps even remove them altogether, to accommodate the extra length.
posted by flabdablet at 7:08 AM on April 15 [1 favorite]

I think it's a winder but I think it's maybe one for a light anchor or fishing line for a sport fishing boat. It's that particular type of cheap, durable, floating, snappable white plastic that makes me think that. I haven't got a match on a particular piece of equipment, but my grandfather's bass boat was full of stuff like this.
posted by Miko at 6:55 PM on April 15 [2 favorites]

posted by bendy at 2:49 AM on April 17

Hey, OP, I'm really curious about this -- let me know if you ever get an answer.
posted by WCityMike at 9:58 AM on May 9

« Older Postage Stamp Garden NYC   |   Are There Online Fashion Retailers in Canada? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments