NYC solo dining with view of kitchen?

I'll be in NYC for a conference and will be dining alone tonight. I'd like to have dinner in a spot where I can watch the action in the kitchen. What are my best bets for restaurants that have bar/counter seating with kitchen views?

I am open to all cuisines and price ranges. Manhattan strongly preferred. Places that need reservations days/weeks/months in advance are not doable, as this is for dinner tonight.
posted by Westringia F. to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (9 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

Lincoln Ristorante
posted by sestaaak at 10:02 AM on April 10

Simple, but tasty fare at Junmen Ramen, and the bar is practically in the kitchen. It was interesting to watch. Pictures on google maps show the bar seating.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 10:05 AM on April 10

There are seats at the counter for one at Momofuku Ko tonight. I recommend you go there.
posted by praemunire at 10:30 AM on April 10 [10 favorites]

Desnuda in the East Village. You will be sitting IN the kitchen, as the restaurant is a bar. The two guys behind the counter will make everything with an induction hotplate, a microwave, and some very sharp knives. The truffle popcorn they start you with is great. Lots of super fresh seafood choices, but plenty else to eat as well. (They do a lot of prep before the evening starts, and it's all very fresh.) I'm pretty sure Dominic is there on Tuesdays. He's not a man of many words and the place is usually very busy. Place seats maybe 20 people.
posted by bilabial at 10:38 AM on April 10 [1 favorite]

Jeju Noodle Bar - It's popular but I've had no issue walking in on a weeknight.
posted by icy_latte at 11:00 AM on April 10

Seconding Praem on Momofuko Ko. I loved the experience
posted by TravellingCari at 11:36 AM on April 10

There are some early reservations available for 1 at the Kitchen Counter at Intersect

It's really good and you are right up in the kitchen - great experience! Don't be concerned about the Lexus branding
posted by elvissa at 11:37 AM on April 10

If you can snatch up the Momofuku Ko reservation, do it. Top 5 meals of my life and the kitchen is right in front of you.
posted by craven_morhead at 12:53 PM on April 10

I snagged a reservation, so Momofuku Ko it is! It was actually my first thought, but I had assumed that same-day reservations would be impossible; thank you, praemunire, for looking!!!

All the other suggestions also sound wonderful. If I'm not roped into dinners with others for the rest of the conference, I hope to try some of those too!
posted by Westringia F. at 3:22 PM on April 10 [4 favorites]

« Older Help me understand this Guatemalan funeral...   |   How to entertain a bored kitty when I'm not around... Newer »