We're going to Barbados—give us all your tips!
April 9, 2019 1:22 PM   Subscribe

We're super-excited about a trip we'll be taking to Barbados this summer and are looking for any and all of your favorite tips and suggestions. A few details inside.

We're an M-F couple in our early 40s, no kids, traveling to Barbados the first week in July. We in particular love rum (which is a big part of why we chose Barbados) and cocktails, but we're interested in any ideas you'd like to share, particularly for restaurants, beaches, and activities. We already have lodging taken care of (we'll be staying in an Airbnb on the south coast). Thanks for any advice!
posted by DavidNYC to Travel & Transportation around Barbados (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It's pricey, but we really enjoyed Action Charters, which is a small charter company that has a catamaran (much more stable than other small boats if you get at all seasick). They will take you to snorkeling places that bigger boats won't, and the food (served with Bajan hot sauce) is wonderful, as is the rum punch. Try to pick a day that has fewer cruise ship passengers in town.
posted by wnissen at 5:17 PM on April 9

We liked seeing the monkey feeding at Barbados Wildlife Reserve and this cave tour.
posted by xo at 6:26 PM on April 9

Came to recommend the cave and the Wildlife Reserve, too. Also did an incredible excursion where we swam "with" (near) sea turtles and took lots of awesome underwater pictures.

Make sure you eat a flying fish sandwich.
posted by gatorae at 6:53 PM on April 9

Rum you said? You must visit St. Nicholas Abbey.
posted by Lescha at 7:09 PM on April 9

My favorite is Crane Beach.
posted by grouse at 5:08 AM on April 10

Oistin's Friday Night Fish Fry: actually the fish is grilled and the event is a lot of fun.

Darn: I was going to recommend the Concorde experience, but it seems closed.

Seconding the Harrison's Cave.
posted by mbarryf at 7:43 AM on April 10

Get a cutter at Cuz's Fish Stand! It's a soft bread roll with fried flying fish. Also check out Oistin's for the food.

I forgot who I went out with exactly, but we just hired a guy on his boat to take us out to snorkel with sea turtles. He brought us to some of the typical ruins nearby and served us great rum punches. Definitely would recommend one of these tours.
posted by xtine at 10:29 AM on April 10

The best time to hit the Wildlife Reserve is during feeding time at 2pm. The caretakers put out food and then the tortoises, deer and wild green monkeys circle up and chow down.

St. Michael's Cathedral and grounds in Bridgetown is worth a visit if you're into historical buildings and quiet contemplation.

Bathsheba Beach is stunning. It's a rocky area lined with palm trees and huge rock formations that look like they're trying to keep their balance in the crashing waves.
posted by systematize at 12:23 PM on April 10 [1 favorite]

« Older Chef's Arm and how to deal with it   |   Take me back to 2011 Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments