What is the name of this blouse style/cut?

I'd like to find a pattern to sew something similar but I don't know the right term to search. https://drive.google.com​/file/d/​12o8B0g_iEibRweUAbyZo8O4SVtlMexOg/​view?usp=drivesdk
posted by cellura p to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Would anything on this page be helpful?
posted by Jane the Brown at 4:43 AM on April 4, 2019

The top front part is called a yoke and it has raglan sleeves. The yoke is often used for maternity tops.
posted by Jane the Brown at 4:44 AM on April 4, 2019 [2 favorites]

I was not seeing a pattern immediately, but searching for "babydoll" or "baby doll" top/blouse/dress (you can always make it shorter) patterns may help.

Also, it's not quite either, but "empire waist" and "peplum" may also be useful search terms.
posted by darksong at 5:05 AM on April 4, 2019 [3 favorites]

I'd call it a "smock top" or "smock blouse". They were big in the 70s.
posted by Grunyon at 5:55 AM on April 4, 2019 [7 favorites]

Also try the term pinafore, that might help too.
posted by Melismata at 5:58 AM on April 4, 2019

This one's close. You'd have to leave off the sleeve band (no biggie) and the waist curve is deeper....
posted by sarajane at 6:08 AM on April 4, 2019 [2 favorites]

I'd also try tunic as a search term.
posted by XtineHutch at 6:10 AM on April 4, 2019

I'd call it a swing tunic or an empire waist swing tunic.
posted by olinerd at 6:39 AM on April 4, 2019

This Butterick has a different sleeve, but the same curved yoke.
posted by crush at 7:35 AM on April 4, 2019 [2 favorites]

I think sarajane has a good suggestion - with a quick look through some of the woven tops in the Foldline database, here are some that might have what you want with a little tweaking:
- Blue Dot Patterns - Margo (adjusting the neckline)
- Kwik Sew - K4218 (closing the cold shoulder)
- Simplicity - 8052 (hard to tell if your one is more curved above the gathers?)
- DG Patterns - Tyra top (lengthening the body and sleeves?)

I would have started with tunic, yoke, etc but The Foldline is pretty amazing for browsing when it's hard to find the words.
posted by carbide at 7:35 AM on April 4, 2019

key search terms I'd look for - empire waist, babydoll, boho/bohemian/hippie, possibly maternity top (this may or may not be one, but a lot of maternity tops use that styling).
posted by oblique red at 8:24 AM on April 4, 2019

Can you buy it and take it apart to make a pattern from?
posted by the webmistress at 8:47 AM on April 4, 2019

This reminds me of the Schoolhouse Tunic by Sew Liberated. Different neckline, but same silhouette.
posted by christinetheslp at 5:10 AM on April 5, 2019

« Older What's a good second career to address age-related...   |   trying to find a poem again Newer »