Are there any pourable rubber coatings on the market?

I'm trying to line the inside of a metal container to protect things that are placed inside it and I'd considered using something like Plasti-Dip. I was going to just pour a coating into the bottom, let it cure, and go. But are there any other products that do something similar that might be a better choice for a sealed container? Moisture prevention is a concern.
posted by Socinus to Technology (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

truck bed liner?
posted by zippy at 1:26 PM on April 3 [1 favorite]

Flex Seal. It's heavily marketed on TV with infomercial stylings, but when I was looking for a fish-safe, food-safe coating, it got good reviews.
posted by quince at 1:28 PM on April 3 [3 favorites]

It's expensive but you could use paint-on waterproofing. Brand name is redgard, but aquadefence and another one are all about $50 a gallon at your hardware store. It's really meant for multiple applications and to be pretty dang waterproof but I can't say it would be better than plasti-dip.
posted by bbqturtle at 1:31 PM on April 3

Is this for an electronics enclosure? If so, (and even if not) look into potting epoxy.

Here is an example.

Searching for "potting compound" at McMaster give some other non-epoxy results that may be of use.

Plasti-dip is kinda shit, it peels off the substrate quite easily if not properly prepped, sometimes even if it is.
posted by dudemanlives at 2:06 PM on April 3

Rustoleum makes a spray-on rubber coating.
posted by at at 2:36 PM on April 3

Seconding FlexSeal. The rubber will nick or scratch if you dig stuff into it purposefully, but holds up otherwise.
posted by missmary6 at 3:33 PM on April 3

Thirding FlexSeal. I had a container of hair paste that I broke the pump on so I put the paste in a round steel screw container which instantaneously rusted. So I applied two coats, about 12 hours apart, of clear spray FlexSeal to another one and transferred what was left into it. Worked perfectly.

After it was applied the FlexSeal actually looked exactly like the kind of coating you might find in a store bought tin, I wonder if there isn't some relation.

(I realize that sounds like a lot of work to save ~$6.00 worth of hair gunk, but I tinker and sometimes you have to follow an idea where it leads you.)
posted by Horkus at 4:50 PM on April 3 [1 favorite]

Without abusing the edit window, it might me useful for me to add here that I coated the lid of the tin also, after protecting the threads on the inside with a carefully applied strip of masking tape (I had time on my hands!). When it cured it made a nice seal with the top edge of the main container.
posted by Horkus at 4:57 PM on April 3

Plasti-dip is also available in spray formulation. And if it doesn't end up working for you it'll peel off a smooth metal surface with a little effort.
posted by Mitheral at 7:10 PM on April 3

Re: FlexSeal being food-safe, this is from the FAQ on FlexSeal's website:
Q: Can I use it to seal the inside of a water tank used for drinking?
A: No, we do not recommend that you use Flex Seal on surfaces where it comes in direct contact with drinking water.
I know this addresses potable water, but if it were me, I'd extrapolate it to include any sort of food or edible items, just to be safe.
posted by Thorzdad at 5:37 AM on April 4 [1 favorite]

The sell stuff in pints to seal the lower, water holding parts of swamp coolers. You can paint on a whole lining if your swamper has started to rust out. Then you are not spraying water resist, which I think could be bad for humans to breathe.
posted by Oyéah at 1:08 PM on April 4

« Older What can I do to help my adult cat with his first...   |   Recommendations for quirky things and cheap hotels... Newer »